Chapter 26 - Caught in a bind

Narcia and Liam followed the woman down the library, mountains of books were scattered all around them. Liam could easily count over 30 shelves of books stationned here.

"I've yet to see such a big library... And the place is very pretty. It reminds me of a cathedral." Liam said as Narcia chuckled, shaking her head in amusement.

"It used to be one a hundred years ago, but it was also overrun with witches amongst the people. They all got burned at the stake, and my family took over this place about 50 years ago while they were being led by my grandfather who was in searchfor a new territory." Narcia said as Liam nodded, finally reaching the end of the corridor.

"Here you go, miss. Behind this door is all of the documents you need. Please make sure to be out before 5 o'clock as the door locks automatically and can not be reopened until tomorrow." The lady said before she walked away, leaving Liam and Narcia alone.

"I used to hate this room as a kid. It was like a homemade nightmare." She said as she opened the door. The entire room was filled with a few hundred shelves, all full of files and containers that had more files. Liam blinked a few times in astonishment. He had never seen anything like this. It reminded him a lot of those rooms in investigation television shows.

"We need to look for things alphabetically. Everything is kept neatly, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just don't know where the letter R is, so we will have to look around. I need the documentation for the recovery and damage report." Narcia said as Liam groaned, looking up to the high ceiling of the room.

"I sure hope we dont have to reach on those 10 feet tall shelves."

"I don't think so. My dad is 6 ft 4 inches. It can't be higher than him, or else he wouldn't be able to reach for it every weekend." She said as Liam walked forward, skimming the books softly. He could read a few that were there, like the economy of the pack, future plans, forest patrols, grand openings, or even general requests.

"Well, this area starts with the letter E, this one with the letter F, and this one starts with the letter G. Assuming this whole set of shelves is that one letter, we can assume that the letter R should be all the way in the back there." Liam said as he pointed to some shelves in the far end of the room.

"I think you could be right, I know that each letter has 2 to 3 rows of itself. Let's get searching so we can leave before the door bolts itself." Narcia said as they both looked at eachother and split up, Liam making his way to the front rows while Narcia went to look to the back ones, it would be more effective once they found the right rows to just convene in the middle.

They had a long way to go.

-

"Are you sure she lives here?" Devan asked Matheo, who groaned and knocked on the door again.

"Yes, I was instructed by Narcia to watch her carefully. I know she lives here." Matheo said before banging on the door. Both of them suddenly started being strangled by an invisible source, both gasping for air.

"What the hell do you want with me, wolf? I have warned your alpha to stay out of... my way... Is that a cannibal!?" She screamed as she blasted Devan away. The poor guy crashed into the ground with a grunt before being pinned down by magic.

"Whoa! Giuliana, he isn't any trouble!" Matheo managed to yell out of his squeezed throat. She slowly released him, glaring at the creature she had pinned down.

"Those monsters are agressive, if they can't eat you, they'll at least tear you to shred and leave you for dead." Giuliana said before Matheo groaned and rubbed his throat.

"He's different. Let him go." Matheo growled, making Giuliana lift an eyebrow. She had made her research on Matheo and had concluded that he was non confrontational, so this was quite a surprise to her. She let Devan go, glaring as the man slowly sat up, glaring back with a frightening intensity. He easily saw the shiver that ran through her, and it pleased him.