Chapter 1.1 - Atlas

"Some things, hidden in the shadows, were never meant for the world's prying eyes.

Certain secrets, so twisted and dark, defy comprehension. Why bother voicing them when they only breed discomfort in others?

In the face of such enigmas, it's best to bear the weight alone, for humanity has always been solitary at its core.

From birth to death, from start to finish, we navigate this existence in isolation, as if that's what the higher powers intended. And so it shall remain.

May the world bask in joy and shared happiness, but when sorrow grips your soul, hold it close and spare others from its ruinous touch."

I let out an exhausted yawn, casting aside the Holy Book they all worship. Useless crap that won't get them anywhere in life, yet they cling to it like it's their salvation.

But in this maze of words, only a few paragraphs catch my attention. I know damn well the behaviors it preaches aren't healthy, and others should realize it too.

This garbage wasn't penned by the divine creator of all things. No, these are the words of a god who manipulates and controls everything.

One deity reigns supreme, undefeated and immortal, untouchable by anyone. The other, a mortal speck in comparison, yet people choose to follow him more.

After all, who believes in an unseen god when there's a tangible deity with a solid form? A god who promises riches, even though he never delivers. The world prefers his enticing illusions over the truth of a meaningful life, filled with the simple joys bestowed by the other god.

People keep burning and burning, yet they believe they're on the right path.

The real god gives and gives, but there are no recipients, while the other god takes everything and demands offerings.

But who am I to care, anyway? I'm reaping the benefits of this new world created by the Holy One, deeply embedded in the minds of its people.

I finally dragged myself out of bed, a feat as challenging as finding sleep itself. Ironically, waking up proved even harder.

"Don't go," mumbled the man lying next to me.

Sigh... When did I find time to hook up with someone? I must have been so wasted last night that, after the fifth bottle, memories became a blur.

"Hey, you," I said, my tone dripping with apathy. Did I care? Not really. "Did we hook up last night?"

He rubbed his eyes and sat up, the sheet sliding off his naked body. A perfect specimen, just my type—broad shoulders, lean waist, and a chiseled chest.

"A few rounds," he smirked. "We were both too messed up to remember, but with your body and my stamina, that's my guess."

I glanced down and realized I was still undressed. And this definitely wasn't my room. The Holy Book I had been reading belonged to some hotel. The bed wasn't mine, and somehow, it all slipped from my mind.

I sighed again. How does this keep happening?

I can already hear Lady's nagging voice in my head. "I told you to quit drinking," she would scold me. "How can you already be a damn alcoholic at your age?"

Well, that's life, I suppose, I retorted within my own conflicted mind. It's not just about the alcohol, though. This guy lying beside me, he feels like... my kind of people.

***

the real thing will begin in the next chapter🤭