Chapter 5.3 - Atlas

"Atlas, I can't prevent you from pursuing your own desires, especially if they don't harm the group. However, it's worth noting that you've been an adult for quite some time now. Don't you think it's time to assume more responsibility?"

"I always deliver the best results, as you know," I replied, offering a polite smile. Lady was never one to mince words, and her concern went beyond mere politeness. "As I've mentioned repeatedly, I don't see any issues with my conduct."

Lady's gaze remained steady. "Alright, do as you wish. This isn't the first time you've disregarded my advice, and I understand that it will ultimately affect you."

"I won't come running to you in tears, don't worry," I reassured her, my smile never wavering. "I won't go to Augustus either."

"You understand that's not what I'm getting at..."

"I do," I replied with a knowing glance. That's precisely what you mean. "But I won't stand idly by and take the blame for something I haven't done."

Lady sighed, massaging her temples. At that moment, she appeared far older than her actual age. "Never mind. What's the point of pretending..."

"It's not my concern," I said, echoing her words. "But since you've interceded in my affairs, I'd appreciate a pass to meddle in yours."

She was well aware of my intentions but, like me, she required confirmation. Lady chose not to respond.

"You and Augustus have been separated for quite a while now. For me, Augustus occupies a unique place, akin to that of a brother or even a father, so there's no need for you to concern yourself about that. Regardless, the path forward involves either letting go of these concerns or taking the initiative to repair what's broken."

But, like me, Lady remained steadfast in her ways, impervious to such advice. She offered no response.

I afforded her one final smile, punctuated by a respectful nod, before gracefully exiting her office.

"S-s-sir!"

My departure was halted abruptly as Sebastian, my subordinate, rushed toward me, a substantial file clutched tightly in his grasp.

His expression bore that familiar mixture of infatuation and devotion that I had grown accustomed to. But this time, I was already contemplating a way to release some pent-up tension that lay dormant beneath the surface.

"Sir, you need to see this!" Sebastian gasped, his voice trembling with barely contained excitement. "This file just arrived via fax from Lily's headquarters. It's classified as top se-"

Instinctively, I silenced him with a firm hand over his mouth, steering him away from prying eyes into the dimly lit hallway and then into an empty guest room.

"S-s-sir?" he stammered, his wide eyes searching mine.

Ah, yes, I recognized that look all too well—the flushed cheeks, the eager anticipation that danced in his gaze. It was a look that would always manage to both intrigue and concern me.

"Give me the file," I commanded, and without hesitation, he handed it over, offering a bow in the process. His physical response was noticeable, an uncontrollable manifestation of his desire that he made no effort to hide.

I was well aware of my reputation within the group, but I hadn't anticipated my notoriety to extend to a newcomer like Sebastian, who displayed audacious interest without a shred of fear for my position.

At that moment, I recognized that he would do anything I asked of him, a trait shared by many of my male subordinates.