Chapter 2.3 - Jax

"Well," I smiled, undeterred by Moon's challenging demeanor. "I possess valuable information."

"What's the point?" Moon retrieved a cigarette, and Sun dutifully lit it for him. How the man managed to endure despite his habits remained a mystery to me.

"Moon, take a seat," Sun urged, patting his back. Complying, Moon exhaled a plume of smoke, his attention now fixed on our conversation. "I'm listening," Sun directed his focus back to me.

A faint crease formed on Sun's brow. Whether he had caught on to my intentions or if it was merely a response to his right-hand man's behavior, I couldn't ascertain.

"I am certain you are already aware of this, which is precisely why I have been granted this audience," I began, my voice dripping with confidence.

Though Sky held a position of superiority in terms of power, I possessed something they desired with equal fervor, rendering us equals in this negotiation. However, my second encounter with Moon left me slightly concerned that he might pose a threat to the success of our deal.

I glanced at Simon, who promptly retrieved a file from his inner pocket.

"I have heard that you have been in search of him," I stated, placing the file on the table.

No one's expression betrayed any change, yet an unmistakable shift in the atmosphere permeated the room. Perhaps their desperation ran even deeper than I had anticipated.

"Can I trust this?" Sun inquired, his response quick and unwavering. This matter seemed to hold a personal significance for them, separate from their respective districts.

"Of course," I responded, deliberately withholding the file despite Sun's expectation. "This is the culmination of countless hours of painstaking effort. You understand the gravity of that, do you not? Especially considering the fact that no other individual could provide you with such valuable information."

"I shall draft the contract," Sun declared with a smile. "I shall request nothing more than the file itself."

"And I want the VIP alliance," I asserted boldly.

To make such a request directly to a fellow Mafia lord, rather than waiting to be offered the alliance, was a direct affront to their group—a display of desperation. Tradition dictated silence, allowing others to extend the invitation.

But if I had adhered to tradition, I would still be wallowing in mediocrity.

Sun was about to respond when I swiftly interjected, cutting off his words. "By the way, the information in this file is three days old. You are aware that he would not have remained in the same location for that long, correct?"

"I am well aware," Sun replied, his smile undeterred as he gestured to one of the silent figures in the room, signaling them to bring the contract. "I eagerly anticipate this partnership."

And then it struck me. They were even more desperate than I had initially surmised. Sun, notorious for handling personal matters himself rather than relying on his gang, differed from many others in his approach.

Though curiosity piqued within me, I had obtained what I desired from this meeting. Lingering any longer would be an unnecessary waste of time.

"Mr. J," Moon's voice suddenly cut through the air, catching me off guard, though I maintained an outwardly composed demeanor. "I knew I had encountered you before." He appeared surprisingly more lucid now. "Could you wait for me after the meeting? I have something to discuss with you."

His gaze sharpened, and a mischievous Cheshire grin played upon his lips.

That exquisite countenance of his...

***

Next chapter will have some action and the next even more 🫦