Chapter 1.1: Reunion

"... Horikita?"

In front of me is the unexpected sight of Horikita, she is holding a repeater, still pointed at me. She is wearing a red vest with a brown coat.

A few yards away is a horse which I can assume to be her horse, it has a big build with strong looking legs. It's coat is dark brown with small white spots.

"... Ayanokouji-kun?"

For a second, Horikita's crimson eyes soften a bit at the sight of a familiar face in this unfamiliar world, but she quickly regains her serious look again.

"I apologize for the scare, I was simply taking precautions." She lowers her repeater and hangs it around her back.

I lower my hands and crouch down to pick my revolver up. "I didn't expect to see anyone else here, I thought that I was alone."

"I feel the same way, I am glad to see someone that I know, I will admit, I was a little shaken up when I came to my senses and found myself alone."

Horikita then stops and she now looks disturbed.

"Ayanokouji-kun... w-what happened to those men?"

Horikita is referring to the corpses of the 2 men that tried to rob and take me in to the sheriff.

"I did what I had to do, they were going to rob me and then kill me."

I decide to not inform her that they were trying to turn me in to the sheriff for a bounty.

"Oh... well I guess I can understand why you had to do that. Are... they dead?"

"Yes, once again, I was left with no choice."

"I understand, but..."

She looks into my eyes, no, she tries to analyze my eyes.

"You still seem indifferent, I already knew you don't show much emotion on your face, but I thought you would at least show something this time..."

I don't understand, why would I feel anything for eliminating someone that threatens my life? I guess it's not easy to simply take the life of another for other people.

"No... I do feel pity, I just don't show it on my face."

"Even in this type of situation? I really don't understand you."

Though Horikita still seemed disturbed by the dead bodies, sometimes glancing at them, she tries overlook it.

"Well let's just try to ignore... that. Horikita, how do you have that equipment?"

It should've been around 3 hours since I woke up, maybe she woke up earlier than me?

"Oh this? Well when I woke up I was near a town. I was behind a saloon when a drunk man approached me and tried to.... well that doesn't matter, I took care of him fairly easily with a quick, unexpected attack and simply took his equipment. He also had a horse hitched nearby."

"Really? What about what you have on?"

"I took it from him mostly because it was pretty cold, and also because it might prevent future assaults of random strangers who think my choice of clothing invites them to do what they want with me." She says this with clear disgust in her face.

Previously on the ship, girls were allowed to wear very short skirts, in this time, clothing like that would incite dangerous interactions with lustful men, Horikita's cute face only added on to this.

"Wait, so you woke up near a town? Where was it?"

Ignoring her recall of her bad encounter, she responds. "It's actually opposite to where you were heading."