SS: Different Circumstances

... Huh

Wait, where am I?

I feel like I'm lying on something soft, a bed perhaps?

I take a look around, I'm in an old-fashion aristocratic bedroom.

How did I get here? Wasn't I in the school?

To my left is a book, upon closer inspection, I see that is is written in English, though for some reason I can read and understand it clearly.

Am I no longer in Japan?

Before I could finish my analysis, the door opposite to my bed opens.

"Oh! You're awake now! I was a little worried that you may have been sick!"

The one who enters is woman who is likely in her 50s, she is wearing a purple dress with a feather hat to match. Her style of clothing also seems to be old-fashioned.

Was I kidnapped by a crazy old woman?

"Where am I? Who are you?"

I now realize that I can speak fluent English, not to mention that I could clearly understand the woman.

"Oh, my name is Annabelle Smith dear. I was strolling about when I came across your unconscious self near my home. I was a little confused, since I was sure that I already walked right by there and I saw nobody. Do you know what happened dear?"

Is she lying? I was in my dorm room, there is no way that I should be off campus, it doesn't seem like this woman is capable of breaking into the school and kidnapping me. What exactly is happening?

"No... I don't know how I ended up near your home."

"Well that is certainly strange, would you mind having some tea and food?"

I am feeling hungry, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have something to eat. "Yes, I would appreciate that."

Annabelle leaves the room and comes back after 5 minutes with a teapot and dish in hand.

"Here you go!"

The tea tastes nice, though there is something off with the food.

This doesn't seem like a regular Japanese dish, I'm pretty sure that this is more popular in the West, specifically before the 19th century. Does this woman make everything about her old-fashioned?

"I noticed that along with you was this thing in your hand, I wasn't sure what it was, but I thought that it might've been important to you."

"Oh yes that's mine, thank you, I need this."

I get up from my bed. "Thank you, I appreciate your hospitality."

She looks at me confused. "Why are you... oh I understand now! I guess it's a good thing that I brought that."

I walk to the door, and enter a large room, resembling that of a ballroom. "Wow... this place is massive."

She stand next to me. "Indeed, I like to have my servants maintain my home."

As she says that, I walk around a bit until I reach a door which I can assume leads to outside the house. "Is it okay if I take a look outside?"

"Yes, you don't have to ask me."

At her approval, I open the door.

"... horses?" I am met with the unusual sight of people riding horses and lots of others walking on the sidewalk.

The roads are outdated and there are plenty of people that wear the same style of clothing that Annabelle does.

"... What the?"

"Oh you don't know? You're in this lovely city called Tiffany!"

"Tiffany?"

"Yes! I am glad that I lived to see the day where America has become advanced enough to create cities like Tiffany! I almost envy you little girl, you might be able to see the day where we can fly!"

America? Isn't America a lot more advanced than this? Why are there horses? Shouldn't there be cars?

"After all, the new century is upon us! I wonder what awaits us for the 1900s!"

The 1900s? Don't tell me... Am I in the late 1800s?

How is that possible? Not to mention that I'm also in America.

"Little girl, do you have any parents? I couldn't find anyone that had your unusual hair color for your age, but I do love it!"

I don't know much about America in the 1800s, but wasn't it known for being a dangerous time? I guess I can say that I'm lucky for being sent here after the Industrial Revolution.

Am I alone? Maybe my class has also been sent here? I have no leads that say otherwise.

I probably shouldn't leave Annabelle hanging. Should I say that I don't have parents? I'm not sure if they are also here, it wouldn't be a lie to say that I have no parents at this current moment.

"No, my parents aren't here Ms. Annabelle."

"Oh how unfortunate." It seems that she assumed that they're dead. "How tragic, for a girl as young as you to lose her parents as such a young age."

After a moment of silence, Annabelle speaks up. "Say... would it be fine if I were to adopt you? It would be horrible for someone like you to be abandoned on the streets, and I have never had a child of my own. I am quite wealthy, so I can definitely provide you with all the needs that should be met!"

Adoption? If I were to refuse, I have no idea where to go after this.

"... I think that would be okay Ms. Annabelle, thank you."

She giggles. "That's fine! Just call me Annabelle, and you are?"

With slight hesitation, I tell her my name.

"... I'm sorry? Sa... Saka? Sakan Ari?"

With a tap of my cane, I repeat my name again, more clearly.

"My name is Sakayanagi Arisu."

A/N:

I forgot to say this for the other parts, but if there any inconsistencies with anything that doesn't match up with the time that this takes place in, please let me know. Anyway, I was able to get out 2 chapters, the next one will be back on Ayanokouji's exploration of America's strange areas and even stranger people.

Character Count: 5190