Chapter 17: The Lord Alarie

Victoria smiled as a puff of hot breath blew against the back of her neck. She finished latching the barn door closed and turned around. Riven had unlatched his stall door yet again. The mess of hay strewn across the floor was evidence that he'd escaped to help himself to more food. He bumped his muzzle into her chest, nickering softly in greeting. She shook her head as she scratched his nose and cheeks.

"You're driving the stablehands crazy, you know," She scolded him halfheartedly. As she turned to retrieve his bridle and saddle, she noticed that all of the other stalls were open, and the main door to the open paddock outside was ajar. Riven pawed at the ground indignantly when she stopped scratching his cheeks. She scowled at him and ran to investigate where the rest of the horses had gone. Thankfully, the other ten horses were busy grazing on the grass. Now, though, she had to figure out how to get the draft team and the other horses back inside on her own. Riven trotted out into the pasture, seeming to delight in being the only stallion amongst a herd of mares.

"He only let out one of them. The rest have figured out how to open their stalls from watching him."

Victoria jumped in surprise. Jean was sitting on the fence just outside the stable, watching the horses graze. He was dressed in his sparring clothes, with his blond hair pulled back out of his face. "What are you doing out of bed at this hour, Little Lord?"

"I couldn't sleep," He shrugged. "Your horse really likes my sister's mare. It started with just the two of them getting out at night. Then the others wanted out too."

"I'm sure the stable master is just thrilled about this," Victoria sighed. Riven made his rounds, greeting all the other horses before beginning to graze himself, swishing his wavy black tail happily.

"Should we round them up?"

"No, leave them. Riven will keep them safe tonight. Not much can come between a stallion and his mares." Victoria pulled herself up onto the fence to sit beside him. She gave Jean another look over, noting the troubled expression on his face. "You're too young to have problems sleeping. Anything in particular keeping you up?"

"My sixteenth birthday is in six months," He said. "I'm going to be a man soon, but it doesn't really feel like it should. Everyone still treats me like a child, especially my sister. If they would just give me a chance, I could prove that I'm more capable than any of them realize."

"When I was your age, I was already slaying monsters."

"That's the point I've been making!" Jean threw his hands up in the air, clearly delighted that someone saw it his way. "I'm not afraid to die for my country if needed. But my sister is."

"I think she's more afraid that you'll die than if she'll die," Victoria said. "You'll go on to carry the family name and pass it on to any children you may have. She won't."

"But she's the head of the family! She's still a Labelle! I have as much of a right to serve and protect our family legacy and our empire as she does."

"There is more to serving your country than needlessly putting your life on the line. Sometimes, staying alive does more for your people and your legacy than being in the thick of things."

"But you said—"

"I know what I said, but that's irrelevant. Tell me why it's so important to you that you be out there hunting monsters with your sister rather than focusing on your studies until you're older."

"Because everyone thinks I'm a joke! How can I claim to be a Labelle—a world-renowned beast hunter—when I haven't ever done anything or proven my skills?" Jean said. In the moonlight, Victoria could see tears in his eyes as he looked up at the three moons in the sky high above them. "I feel useless here, like a little doll on display. I want to help, to avenge my parents, to show I'm capable of great things."