Chapter 26: Irresistable

"You're bouncing your leg again, Giselle."

"Sorry."

Victoria put her right hand on Giselle's knee to stop her anxious tapping. Ever since Analise had left, she'd been on edge. Now, not even the wine or spirits were doing much to relax Giselle. She'd been swirling the red wine in her crystal glass for the last ten minutes as they watched the fire dancers from the back of the small amphitheater butting up against the small lake on the estate.

"Are you going to drink that, or just swirl it until it's dead?" Victoria teased, reaching over and taking the glass from her. She took a sip and grimaced, then she set the glass aside. "Too late."

"Can I ask you something?" Giselle asked. She leaned her head against Victoria's shoulder, sounding so weary all of a sudden. Victoria rested her cheek against the top of Giselle's head.

"Shoot."

"Why did you ask me to dance?"

"That's an odd question."

"Oh, just answer it."

"Was I that bad of a dance partner?"

"Victoria...."

"What?"

"Answer the question."

"Persistent little thing, you are." Victoria drummed her fingers on Giselle's knee, finding the blue silk fabric of her dress cool and soothing to the touch in the warm evening air. "I asked you because I wanted to dance."

"You could have danced with anyone. Why me specifically?"

"You're the only person I felt comfortable dancing with."

Giselle yawned quietly, seeming satisfied with the answer. Idly, she lifted a hand to play with the silver and ruby ring on Victoria's right hand. "This is new."

"It was among the treasure trove of my personal belongings Lucaese brought to Fort Vaegar. I believe this was a gift from my father when I turned sixteen."

"It's beautiful." Giselle yawned again, longer this time. "Gods, I didn't think that they'd perform for this long."

"If I have to suffer through it, so do you." Victoria smiled to herself as Giselle continued to fidget with the ring. She closed her eyes for a moment, grateful for the seclusion from the rest of the crowd. Dinner had been so chaotic with all the conversations and introductions. A reprieve from the sea of eager hands was sorely needed for both of them.

"Would it be shameful to ditch my own party?"

"Only if it's shameful for me to also ditch your party."

"Right then. Hurry, before the men notice we're gone."

Slowly, they rose from their seats and slipped away from the amphitheater. Giselle took hold of her arm, leading Victoria down the gravel path that snaked along the back side of the lake. The pathway had been lit with colorful paper lanterns on stakes, giving off just enough light to see by. The thicket of willow and cottonwoods along the shore helped to hide them from view of the party.

"I don't think you've ever shown me this part of the property before," Victoria said. The moon was reflecting across the still water. Though the lilies along the shore were closed for the night, they were still a beautiful sight to behold.

"It's not a place I like coming to that often," Giselle replied.

"Too many memories?"

"Yes."

"We don't have to stay here."

"I want to show you something, though."

They continued following the winding path through the trees and lilac bushes. The blooms were almost spent but still wafted their fragrance into the night air. Eventually, the path forked, one way leading to a small dock and boathouse, the other leading to a large iron gazebo covered in wisteria blooms. Giselle headed toward the gazebo, letting go of Victoria's arm. There were no lanterns lighting it, but as Giselle stepped inside, the gazebo was suddenly bathed in red light from dozens of tiny balls of light scattered throughout the boughs of the wisteria.