Chapter 21: The Village of Nans

Victoria woke with a start, sitting upright as she looked around the room. Wherever she was, the room was tidy and clean. The sheets and mattress were plush and soft. Bright light streamed in from the window beside her bed, a welcome change from the dreary walls of the old fort. Giselle quickly came to her side from the chair beside the bed, tackling her into a tight hug. Shocked, Victoria hugged her back, unsure of how else to respond. After a brief moment, Giselle let her go and pushed her back against the mountain of pillows on the bed.

"You should take it easy. You're hurt pretty badly," She said. She reached for the bowl on the bedside table and dabbed at Victoria's lip and forehead with a cool wet cloth. Victoria winced as she did so, now feeling the aching and bruising from where Lucaese had struck her.

"Did Lucaese escape?" Victoria asked. "Last I remember, he was beating the shit out of me."

"Unfortunately, yes. But believe me, when I finally found you, you had beaten the shit out of him, too. If the wyrz hadn't grabbed him, you would have ripped him to shreds." Giselle swapped the rag for a metal tin of salve that smelled heavily of mint and other herbs. She dotted it onto Victoria's lip and a few other places on her face and neck. "Everyone is just glad you're still with us."

"And the Elitre?"

"Also escaped. But everyone else there was not so lucky."

"I half expected not to wake up at all."

"I was worried you wouldn't either at the start. You were so weak. I know you heal on your own, and I got to witness just how quickly you can regenerate, but it was still touch-and-go for the first few hours until we could move you here." Giselle brushed some loose hairs behind her ear and smiled sheepishly. "Sorry for all the fussing, but there are some wounds on your sides I need to look at. I'll need to lift your shirt up."

With Giselle's help, Victoria sat up and lifted her shirt. Victoria gritted her teeth as Giselle unwound the bandages from her ribs. She gently inspected them, but tears still bit at Victoria's eyes at the slightest touch. At least three of her ribs were definitely broken. Giselle wiped some of the cuts and scrapes with the clean cloth and applied fresh salve before rewrapping new bandages around her again.

"Is the Commander alright? I saw him with the rest of the prisoners," Victoria said.

"He's malnourished and bruised, but recovering back at the citadel just fine. The Knights would like to personally thank you once he and the rest of his retinue are feeling well enough. The Commander sends a courier over at least once a day to check on you."

"I don't see why I am being thanked. You assembled the group, and you stormed the fort," Victoria said.

"You sacrificed yourself for my people, my home, and my family, without so much as a second thought," Giselle said, gently pushing her back down to rest. "You made a master vampire turn tail and flee, and in the process, we were able to liberate over two dozen missing persons. You deserve just as much credit."

"I sensed Jean at the fort. Is he alright?"

"He's just fine. I'm sure he's retelling the events of that night to Klen in the common room. I think the accomplishment of killing his first vampire has gone to his head."

"Well, it's high time he slew his first monster. I was slaying them regularly at his age."

"Yeah...." Giselle laughed softly. She gave Victoria an odd look, as if she wanted to say something but didn't know how. "Are you hungry? Or thirsty? I can have one of the servants bring you something."

"No, I don't need anything. What I need is to get out of bed and walk around." Victoria sat back up again despite Giselle's protest. She cast aside the down comforter and swung her legs to the side. Luckily, Giselle was there to catch her as her legs promptly gave out as she tried to stand.