10: Legendary Warrior

Toshiro watched from a distance as the rebel team gathered around two freshly dug graves a kilometer north of their previous campsite. The wind carried Juno's voice as she spoke before the small assembly.

"We don't have a lot of time—Zo will be hot on our trail."

She cleared her throat. "We've lost two of our own," she said, gaze fixed on the twin mounds of dirt. "Monita, who stood with us from the very beginning. Her wisdom was a light that guided us through the darkest times."

Juno paused, shoulders slumping. "And Alexa. One of our youngest students, but no less brave. She gave everything for our cause."

Toshiro's eyes lingered on Alexa's grave. He pictured her smiling face as she told him about the foil-lined tent.

Juno turned to face Monita's grave. "In accordance with her wishes, the elders will hold a special rebirth ceremony in honor of Monita. She will be reborn into the Rebellion. We owe her our freedom and our way of life. Happy rebirthday Monita."

"Happy rebirthday Monita," repeated the other members of the team.

Juno paused as tears surfaced. "Losing Alexa is more personal for me—for us. She dedicated herself to the principles of the Rebellion and recruited like-minded pupils."

Ren nodded and laughed as she wiped her eyes.

Juno continued. "She was a fast learner, especially with her passion for medicine and neuroscience. But putting aside how important she was to the rebel cause, she was our teammate and our friend, and we will miss her. In accordance with her wishes, she will not be reborn, but instead will remain only in our memories. May she rest in peace."

"Rest in peace," echoed the standing rebels.

Ren fell to her knees, crying. Jeremy put an arm on her shoulder.

Juno's voice was thick with emotion. "They were more than just allies. They were family. We'll carry Alexa with us in our hearts as we continue this fight. And we will cherish reborn Monita as we cherished her in life."

Murmurs of agreement rose from the group. Toshiro watched Ren reach out from where she knelt and squeeze Juno's hand.

The rebels began filing past the graves, each stopping to lay a flower or keepsake on the fresh dirt. Toshiro stayed back, throat tight. He may not have known Monita or Alexa well, but their loss carved a hollow space in his chest.

After several minutes of silence, Jeremy said, "I remember how Alexa cared for everyone. She didn't want to fight, but she wouldn't hesitate to oppose Zo if he threatened someone under her care. She was more than a colleague—she was family."

Ren stepped forward, eyes downcast. "I never properly thanked her," she whispered. "For saving me from my past."

She took a shaky breath, glancing up at the others.

"You all know my history with Zo Intelligence. How I was one of Zo's top agents." Her voice hardened. "Until I learned the truth about his 'utopia.' About the lies and propaganda, he spreads to control us."

She looked back down. "By then, it was too late. I was outspoken and had my own ideas about what a moral compass should be, and for that, the Terrorism Defense Force marked me as a traitor. My identity, my purpose—they stripped away everything!"

Juno squeezed her shoulder. Ren gave a sad smile.

"If it wasn't for Alexa, I don't know where I'd be. She gave me a chance when no one else would."

Ren wiped her eyes, standing up straight.

"I remember when I hit rock bottom, Alexa caught me stealing sugar." Ren laughed. "She didn't judge me or turn me over to the authorities. Instead, she listened to my story and showed me how I could choose my own path, separate from Zo." She lifted her chin. "Her kindness restored my sense of purpose. I'll never forget what she did for me."