21: Shared Revelations

The sun was high in the sky, casting its unrelenting light on the historic Homs Oil Refinery. The abandoned behemoth of steel and rust stood as an eerie monument to a time long past. As they approached the city, Toshiro noticed the stark contrast between the industrial structures and the serene beauty of their surroundings. The Orontes River flowed peacefully to their right, and beyond the river lay al-Basatin, a lush green oasis that beckoned them with its tranquility.

Baz glanced out the window, his eyes flitting between the refinery and the natural landscape. "This place is a paradox," he muttered, his brow furrowed in thought. "Guys, the rebel base isn't too far from here. We should ditch the car and continue on foot," Baz suggested, his voice filled with tension. "A car like this—in the city, no less—it screams suspicion."

Toshiro and Ren exchanged glances before nodding in agreement. Toshiro knew what Baz meant about the scarcity of cars they encountered. It was no surprise since motorized vehicles were a rare sight. With a deep breath, Baz pulled the car over and parked it inconspicuously amongst some thick vegetation.

"Alright, let's move," Baz said, determination etched across his face. The trio exited the car and began trekking toward Homs' western gate.

As the three of them walked down the cobbled pathway, the magnificent gate loomed before them, its architecture reminiscent of a bygone era of at least fifty years ago. The gate had been neglected. But despite its worn appearance, the white walls still stood tall and possessed a certain grandeur. Though cracks and dislodged bricks were evident, it remained an impressive sight to behold.

"Can you believe it? I feel like a real live tourist!" Ren exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. Her excitement was contagious, and even Toshiro couldn't help but smile at her childlike wonder.

"Focus, Ren," Baz cautioned, his voice low and tense as he surveyed their surroundings.

Ren clapped her hands in a burst of energy. "Come on, Baz! Aren't you excited?"

"We don't have time to play games. And I think we should keep a—"

Some autowalkers passed by, prompting Baz to continue in a whisper, "We should keep a low profile. We need to meet up with the Homs arm of the Rebellion and restock our supplies."

Ren nodded, her enthusiasm dampened by the reality of their mission.

Toshiro watched as she glanced around, taking in the neglected beauty of the gate and the eerie silence that surrounded them. Deep down, he knew Baz was right; their mission required constant vigilance, especially with the threat of Zo's drones looming over them.

"Let's move," Baz urged, his voice firm but not unkind.

Ren stumbled a few paces away from the gate before her body convulsed, collapsing to the ground in a heap. Her face twisted in a mask of excruciating pain as she cried out in torment.

"Ren!" Toshiro shouted, his eyes widening in shock as he rushed to support her trembling form.

Baz reached her first, quickly grabbing her hand to connect to her vitals.

"What's wrong with her?" Toshiro asked frantically, looking to Baz for answers.

"It's the kill virus!" Baz hissed through gritted teeth. "The infection is catching up with her."

"Damn it," Toshiro muttered, feeling the weight of helplessness settle in his chest. He locked eyes with Ren, her normally vibrant gaze now clouded with agony.

"Help me get her back into the car!"

Ren screamed again as they carried her, but the nearby autowalkers continued their programmed march, utterly indifferent to the scene unfolding before them. Toshiro thought, A woman screaming in the street and a crowd oblivious, their minds immersed in VR.