28: Hero's Fury

Toshiro's eyes narrowed as he scanned the sun-bleached road ahead, his mind racing with thoughts of Alex's fate. The wind picked up, whipping his hair across his face and tugging at his prosthetic arm.

"Head that way for three miles, take the second left, and the school will be on your right," Pawel urged, his voice strained with concern.

"Got it," Toshiro replied, nodding to his team. They climbed into their vehicle.

"Listen," Pawel said through the window, "the drone army invaded on Monday. The headteacher had to close the school, and it's been closed all week. Alex may have gone there seeking a familiar place...he may even be there now!"

Baz clenched his fists in frustration. "If that's true, it means the boy is all alone. We must hurry and get to him now!"

As they raced towards the school, Toshiro couldn't help but feel the weight of responsibility upon his shoulders. He glanced at his friends—Ren, fierce and loyal, and Baz, brave and impulsive. It was up to him to lead them to victory, to save Alex from whatever danger awaited him.

"Toshiro," Ren said with hesitation in her voice, "do you really think Alex is hiding out at the school?" Her gaze locked onto the road ahead.

"Positive," Toshiro responded, gripping the control panel tightly. "We have to find Alex."

An unsettling mix of anticipation and apprehension coursed through Toshiro's veins as they sped towards their new destination—somehow, he knew Alex was there. He thought, What will Alex do when we arrive? Will he trust me, the legendary Hayato?

"Turn left here!" Ren directed, pointing at an upcoming intersection. The tires screeched in protest as Toshiro made the sharp turn.

"Slow down!" Baz shouted, gripping the door handle. "We're here!"

Toshiro slammed on the brakes, the car skidding to a halt. They had arrived at the school, but it was a far cry from what Toshiro had expected. The old two-story building stood like a dark sentinel, its white concrete walls surrounded by twisted branches that clawed at the sky. A sign read "Clear Waters School for Children" in paint so faded and cracked it looked as if it had been forgotten for decades.

"Something doesn't feel right," Ren whispered, unease etched across her face.

"Agreed," Baz added, glaring at the decrepit building. "But let's not waste any time. We need to find Alex."

"Stay close, everyone," Toshiro instructed, stepping out of the car.

The group approached the school cautiously, the eerie silence only serving to amplify the tension. As they neared the entrance, Toshiro couldn't shake the feeling that something sinister awaited them inside.

The wind howled through the broken windows, sending a chill down Toshiro's spine as they approached the front door. His heart pounded in his chest, each beat echoing with Hayato's strength. It was now or never.

His hand reached for the door handle, but he found that the door was sealed shut. Just as Baz and Ren caught up with him, piercing screams erupted from within the building, sending chills down Toshiro's spine.

"Alex!" shouted Toshiro. The raw terror in the boy's voice spurred them into action. With no time to waste, Toshiro slammed Kura against the locked door, but it only left a dent. The screams grew more frenzied, reverberating through the air.

"Get back!" Baz roared, his face contorted with rage. Ren grabbed Toshiro's hand and pulled him back before Baz could take another step. Immediately, Baz drew his foot back and launched it forward with such strength that the door flew open.