19: The Fish Tank

As the first rays of the morning sun pierced the horizon, its light unveiled a camouflaged car hidden among the trees. Inside, Toshiro, Ren, and Baz were slowly coming to life after a restless night spent in the cramped confines of their makeshift shelter. The discomfort of their situation was a small price to pay for staying off Zo's radar. As they stretched and yawned, trying to shake off the stiffness that came with sleeping in a car, the quiet of the dawn was broken by Toshiro's groggy voice.

"Ugh, remind me never to sleep in a car again," Toshiro groaned as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"Deal," Ren mumbled, her voice hoarse from disuse. She cracked open the window, letting in the scent of sunbaked earth and the sounds of birds singing their morning symphony.

Baz sat up, wincing as he grabbed ahold of his neck, and looked around at his companions. His eyes were filled with uncertainty, betraying his usual confident demeanor. "Where do we head next?" he asked.

Toshiro leaned forward from the back seat and was quick to map out their next move. "We drive directly to Manin, heading east to Homs and then south toward Damascus."

Before the plan could be set in stone, Ren interjected, pushing Toshiro slightly to the side. "Hold on. We don't have enough information to find Alex. I think we should consult the fish tank for clues."

Toshiro raised an eyebrow. Turning to her, he asked, "Where's the fish tank?"

Pointing westward, Baz, now more awake and alert, chimed in, "It's a five-minute drive from here."

"But Ren, do you really think a computer can help us?"

Ren huffed. "It's a class 9, world-simulating supercomputer. What good is it if we don't use it?"

"Class 9?"

"Class 9, the fish tank, is the most advanced legal AI under Zo's rule. Classes 10, 11, and 12 are the tank truck, lake, and lake grid—all illegal. Only Zo runs on class 10 and up."

"What's a lake grid?"

"It's the networked collection of lakes on Earth—about 100 of them. Apparently, Zo's current goal is to achieve class 13, which is something I don't even want to think about!"

Baz had other concerns about relying on the fish tank. "Ren, I'm not sure this is a good idea. Zo is attacking us from all directions—he may have hacked into our fish tank without us knowing." He folded his arms across his chest. "We can't risk it."

"Baz, you don't usually doubt our tech. What's really going on?" she asked, her voice carrying a mix of concern and curiosity.

Baz sighed. "It's not just the tech," he started, his voice softer now, almost hesitant. "It's about who I was before all this...before the Rebellion."

Ren and Toshiro exchanged glances. Toshiro sensed Baz had always been an enigma to those around him, his past a closely guarded secret.

"I wasn't always fighting against Zo. There was a time when I stood guard for a royal bloodline, loyal to Zo, believing we were on the right side of history." Baz's confession hung in the air, a testament to a past riddled with complexity and loyalty.

"The royal family I served was once revered, entrusted with keeping balance. But Zo...Zo betrayed us, destroyed everything I was sworn to protect. The betrayal wasn't just political; it was personal, tearing down the very fabric of my existence."

Ren reached out, placing a gentle hand on Baz's shoulder, an unspoken sign of support. Toshiro remained silent, allowing Baz the space to continue.

"After the fall, I wandered, lost and disillusioned. Looking at the rebels I once scorned, I saw hope, a chance to make things right. Joining the Rebellion wasn't easy. I had to confront my own prejudices, my loyalty to a cause that no longer existed."