22: Hiding in Plain Sight

The sun's rays illuminated the city of Homs, creating a shimmering effect on the glass windows of the buildings as Toshiro, Ren, and Baz entered the bustling metropolis. The vibrant parade of autowalkers weaving through the streets in linear formations created an energetic atmosphere that seemed to pulse in time with the thrum of the city.

"Wow," Toshiro muttered, his eyes wide as he took in the scene before him. His prosthetic arm twitched subtly, reflecting his excitement and anticipation of what lay ahead.

Above, drones glided at different speeds, some leisurely, and others with a sense of urgency.

"Are they Zo's?" Toshiro asked Ren, nodding towards the swarm of airborne machines buzzing overhead. He couldn't help but feel a twinge of anxiety, knowing the iron grip that the superintelligence had on the world.

Ren glanced up from her control pad, her fingers dancing across its surface. "No need to worry. They're friendly," she reassured him, her voice soothing yet assertive. "No Zo activity here."

"Phew," Toshiro exhaled, feeling a moment of tension and relief wash over him.

Baz steered the car to a halt near an abandoned alley, leaving six blocks between them and the gated entrance. He stopped the engine before turning to Toshiro and Ren. "We'll have to continue on foot from here."

Curiosity overtook Toshiro as he stepped out of the vehicle. He gazed upon a white seven-story building with balconies. On the ground floor was an electronics retailer teeming with robotic and human customers alike. The store pulsed with life, as if breathing in the very essence of Homs itself. As he watched, two men walked out of the main entrance, exchanging a friendly chat before autowalking off in opposite directions.

"Looking for fusion batteries?" Toshiro asked, pointing to the unmarked store. In a street full of shops with no physical signs, Zo's public protocol was the only way to gather information. Wearing tinfoil hats kept them protected from Zo, but they had to look through windows to see what was being sold.

Baz shook his head, his fiery eyes focused on the task at hand. "No batteries today," he replied tersely, reminding Toshiro that they had a purpose here beyond exploring the city.

As they continued weaving through the crowded streets, Ren's face lit up suddenly. "Look over there!" she exclaimed, pointing across the street at a row of chic clothing and beauty stores, their luxurious exteriors beckoning like sirens to the most upscale clientele in Homs. "That's where I want to go shopping!"

Baz frowned, his patience wearing thin. "We're here to meet our friends, not shop. If you need clothes or makeup, you get it from the Rebellion."

Irritation flickered briefly across Ren's features, but she quickly composed herself. "Fine," she said, her voice tight. "Let's just focus on the mission."

Ren's words brought Toshiro back to the task at hand. But as he followed Ren and Baz through the labyrinthine streets of Homs, he couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched. This city was alive with intrigue and danger, and he knew they needed to tread carefully.

As they approached the Homs rebel base, an abandoned warehouse loomed before them, its shadow swallowing the deserted alleyway. Graffiti covered the walls, and a faint whiff of decay hung in the air. Toshiro's anticipation intensified as they drew closer to the nondescript metal door.

"Here, this is it," Baz said. He rapped on the door a few times, but the only response was an eerie silence. After thirty seconds, there was no answer.

Ren spoke first. "Are you sure this is the right—"

"Yes, I'm positive." He muttered as he pounded on the door once more, this time with even more force.

After another thirty seconds, he gave it a third try, but still no one came.