39: Burden of Hope

Kura's metal fingers flexed and twitched with pulsing anticipation as Toshiro settled onto his bed, disconnecting himself from the stillness of the Hassia dwelling. Plunging into the vibrant chaos of Zharvox Prime, he closed his eyes to fully immerse himself deep into the digital realm. Here, he could finally shed the constant surveillance of Zo. But on this night, as the clock struck midnight, Toshiro sought more than just escapism. He craved clarity in his thoughts.

As he gazed upon the vast expanse of the Zharvoxian home world, a sense of dread washed over him. The unforgiving wasteland, with its deep blues and foreboding shadows, seemed to mock his every move. His eyes fixated on the distant figure of the Supreme Eye, a colossal being encased in gleaming exoskeleton armor that glinted in the eerie glow of the twin moons. This was the final trial of his game, but as he closed in on his formidable foe, doubt crept into his mind. Was he truly prepared for this ultimate showdown against such a powerful rival?

A blood-curdling shriek echoed through Toshiro's mind, drowning out all rational thought. The malicious voice of the Supreme Eye invaded his mind, its words like blades slicing through his sanity. "I see you!" the alien declared before taunting, "Your end is near, human. Your people will be no more."

Toshiro roared back with ferocity, "I challenge you! Show me the depths of your cowardice!"

The insect-like creature stepped forward and screeched, "You call us the Blue Tiger. But we call you Zittlefen—or meaty worm in your language. I will tear open your worm insides and glean your filth for my offspring." The Supreme Eye hissed in violent hatred, "Let us end this dance of death!"

Toshiro advanced, spear in hand, each step weighted with a gravity that transcended simulated reality. Despite the Zharvoxian king's boasting, Toshiro could sense the desperation emanating from the leader's singular, unblinking eye. Without warning, the Supreme Eye began to strike with force, using his lesser kin as shields, their bodies piling up to form a grotesque throne of flesh and exoskeleton.

"Is this what power is?" Toshiro murmured, parrying a blow meant for his heart. "Using others as your armor?"

The Supreme Eye's face twisted in madness as he stood on top of his followers, frantically flailing his arms. His voice echoed through the chamber as he screamed, "Survival! It is all we know! It is all we have ever known!"

With a surge of pity and determination, Toshiro leapt forward, driving his spear through the Supreme Eye's chest. The leader's cry cut through the silence of the night, ending as abruptly as it began. After a moment, the game signaled victory, but Toshiro felt no elation—only a profound sense of sorrow.

+100 kill points.

"In the end, we're all just fighting to survive, aren't we?" Toshiro whispered, his voice lost amidst the digital winds. "I never thought I'd feel sorry for him...for this alien king. I wonder, what will I feel when I face Zo?"

The 100 kill points was a stark contrast to the 10,000 hero points flashing in his memory—points earned not for killing but for saving a young rebel from certain doom. A realization crystallized within him, refracting through his thoughts like light through a prism. "The game was never about killing the evil leader—it was always just about saving the young rebel."

Toshiro's eyes slowly fluttered open, and he found himself once again pacing in his small room. As he slammed his fist against the bed frame, a wave of pain shot through his arm. The inner turmoil continued to consume him, tearing at his heart as he struggled to accept the decision that lay before him. He didn't want to make it, but he also couldn't continue living in a constant state of worthlessness. It was time to confront the truth, no matter how much it would hurt him and those he loved.