24: Forging Legends

The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting a warm golden glow over the makeshift camp. Baz led Ren and Toshiro through the throng of armed rebels, their faces a mixture of determination and weariness. At the center stood a woman with an unmistakable presence, her striking tan camo outfit blending into the earthy surroundings.

"Hey guys, this is Koda," Baz said, his voice carrying a note of reverence.

Koda's metal-clawed gloves gleamed in the fading light, while a unique backpack adorned with IV tubes connecting to her veins and packed with a small fusion battery hinted at her ingenuity and survival skills. Toshiro guessed she used the energy from the battery to extract water and carbon dioxide from the air, resulting in an unlimited and dependable supply of glucose.

Koda stepped forward, looking intently at Ren and Toshiro before raising her hands to communicate using sign language. "Great to have you here! Any friend of Baz is an ally of ours."

Baz saw the confusion on their faces and quickly explained, "Koda prefers to use sign language sometimes. It's common among Homs rebels—makes it harder for Zo to intercept our communication."

Toshiro nodded, admiring the practicality behind this adaptation. He knew the benefits of sign language from his prison days. He felt a growing sense of camaraderie with these rebels, despite the dire circumstances they found themselves in.

"Thank you for welcoming us," Ren replied, attempting to mimic the sign language she had just witnessed. Toshiro could see she was determined to adapt as swiftly as possible.

Koda smiled. "Zo has been attacking all rebels north of Damascus," she said aloud, her hands trembling ever so slightly. "We're running for our lives!"

Baz grumbled in exasperation, "That's awful!" He paused, scratching his head, before adding, "I knew something wasn't right when we found your abandoned hideout."

Toshiro's heart clenched as he exchanged worried glances with Ren, who tightened her grip on her weapon. He knew they were facing a battle like no other.

"Tell us about the evacuation from Homs," Ren urged.

Koda took a deep breath, her eyes distant as she relived the harrowing experience. "We went through hell. After receiving a warning from Juno about the incoming attack, I had to act fast."

As Koda recounted their escape, Toshiro could practically see the chaos in his mind's eye—the frantic scramble to gather supplies, the deafening explosions, and the gut-wrenching cries of fallen comrades. Admiration for Koda's resilience and quick thinking swelled within him.

"Juno's intel saved us," Koda continued, her voice cracking with emotion. "But we lost many good people along the way."

"You can thank Ren here for that intel," Baz said proudly.

Koda raised a brow. "How's that?"

Ren ran her fingers through her hair. "It's not that big of a deal."

Baz patted her on the back. "She's being modest. Hacking into Zo's drone army alone? That's pretty badass, Ren."

Toshiro lifted his hand. "I was there too, Baz."

"Oh, right, Toshiro was by her side."

As they exchanged words of praise, Koda's eyes scanned the desolate terrain surrounding them, sharp and alert. Her gaze settled on the disabled drone lying in the distance, its metallic carcass glinting in the sun.

"Koda," Ren said, tracing her line of sight to the shattered Big Boy. "What do you think about going back to that drone wreckage? Could we scavenge anything from it?"