12: Kenji's Plan

Toshiro paced the damp, dimly lit cave, eyeing the bounty token that lay before them on the table. The air was heavy with tension, and Toshiro's eagerness to discuss the bounty on young Alex was palpable.

He spoke in a rush. "The reward for this boy, Alex—it's one million runtime credit years—far more than a lifetime salary. I wish I knew why he was being hunted, but the token didn't say."

Kenji interrupted. "What do we know about him?"

"His last known location."

"And where was that?"

"Manin," Toshiro muttered, pausing for a moment. "That's where they said he was last seen."

Kenji combed his fingers through his beard. "Ah, Manin. I know this place. It's a small town just north of Damascus, less than three hours from here."

Toshiro nodded. He had learned from the bounty token that Manin had a population of about 17,000.

Kenji continued, "Do we have an address?"

"No."

"A name?"

"Just Alex—no surname. His family did a good job of keeping him hidden."

Kenji nodded. "A wise thing to do. What else do we know about him?"

"Let's see...male, approximately nine years old. Blonde hair, brown eyes. We have his recent medical history."

"Tell me more," Kenji said, pushing Toshiro to reveal any additional details he might have.

"Look, we don't have much," Toshiro admitted, running his hand through his hair. "Just some sparse personality charts and a few first names of family members. He is energetic, outgoing, and big-hearted, and he has a sister, father, and grandmother."

"Each detail is a piece of a puzzle," Kenji said. "But even an incomplete puzzle may still lead to the boy."

There was a long silence.

Toshiro's boots scraped against the rough cave floor as he paced, his impatience growing with each passing moment. He clenched and unclenched his prosthetic fist, the sound of its mechanical components clicking softly.

"Time is running out, Kenji!" Toshiro blurted out, frustration evident in his voice. "We need to find Alex soon or who knows what will happen to him."

"Patience, Toshiro," Kenji replied calmly. "Rushing into this blindly will only put us all at risk. We must analyze what we have and use it to our advantage."

"Use it?" Toshiro scoffed, gesturing towards the bounty token that lay before them. "What are we supposed to do with a few scattered facts? We don't even know the kid's full name!"

"Every piece of information has value."

"Fine," Toshiro conceded, rubbing at the tense muscles in his neck. "But we're still grasping at straws here. We're wasting time while that poor kid could be in danger!"

"Would you rather we make hasty decisions and walk into a trap?" Kenji asked, his tone firm but not unkind. "Or worse, lead dangerous people straight to Alex?"

Toshiro knew Kenji was right, but the urgency he felt gnawed at his insides. He took a deep breath, trying to quell the turbulent emotions within him.

"Alright, alright," Toshiro muttered, pausing in his pacing to lean against the cave wall. "I just...I can't shake this feeling that we need to act now."

"Your instincts have served you well in the past," Kenji acknowledged. "But we must remember that our actions have consequences. We cannot afford to make mistakes." Kenji turned the token in his hand. "Now, tell me, how did you get this token?"