009

Standing in front of the entrance to the underworld was something Esmeralda hoped she'd never have to do. Yes she was a child of Hades, but that didn't mean she had to like it. Death may not have scared her, but so many other things down there did.

"Does everyone remember the plan?" Percy asked.

"Right the plan." She mumbled. "And what if said plan doesn't work?"

"Well, let's hope it does."

Annabeth muttered under her breath. "That's a great strategy."

Em slapped her arm to be quiet.

Em nodded zipping up Percy sweater all the way, and pulling the hood over her head to cover her face.

Even though it was dark outside, the lobby was very much still lit and open. The room was very, well... Deathly. The furniture was covered with black leather and the wood engraved with different flowers and designs from Persephone's gardens. Faint music played as people slowly made their way through the lobby. No one seemed in a hurry, but why would you be if you were dead. As they walked towards the front desk Em felt eyes on her. She could see these people clear as day but she knew no one else could. They shimmered slightly, but they hadn't lost their form yet, or at least not to her. Her ears rang lightly and she fought the urge to cover her ears.

When they reached the desk Percy looked up to read the name tag. "Chiron? Your name is Chiron too?"

A man peeked over the counter at them. "Impudent boy, to I look like a centaur to you?" He had a faint accent that sounded a little French, or maybe British.

"N-no, I-"

"My name is not Chiron, it's Charon. Read it with me now, C-H-A-R-O-N." He pointed to each letter on his name tag as they repeated after him. "Charon."

"Charon" they said together

"Excellent, now Mr. Charon."

"Mr. Charon"

"Wonderful, I hate getting mixed up with that old centaur, and I don't even have a tail. Now, how can I help you little deceased ones."

"We would like to go to the underworld please." Percy explained.

"Well- isn't that refreshing."

"What?"

"Actually excepting that your going to hell. Most people throw a hissy fit or beg, 'please Mr Charon' or 'there must be a mistake' but not here, for once someone has excepted their fate."

"Oh well, you're welcome."

"Thank you, how did you lads die?"

Annabeth was about to lie but Grover blurted before her, "we drowned, in a bathtub."

This is why Grover never lies. He sucks at it.

Charon pulled down his glasses a tad and looked at them. "All four of you?" He asked pointing back and forth.

"Yes." Annabeth nodded.

"It was a really big bathtub." Percy added.

"Hmm, we'll then, I don't suppose you kids have got a few coins on you. Normally I can charge adults off of one if there most recent purchases or bills, but kids never die prepared, you won't mind sitting around for a few centuries before you leave would you?"

"We've got coins, plenty." Percy placed a few drachmas on the counter.

Charon leaned forward to get a closer look. "Are those- real golden drachmas. I haven't seen one of these in years." He exclaimed. "Wait now-" he seemed to realize something. "You couldn't read my name tag, are you dyslexic mate?"