018

Percy flipped back and forth in his bed that night. He couldn't seem to get comfortable no matter how hard he tried. And the unsettling events from that evening were not helping. Finally after flipping back and forth a few more times he gave up on sleeping. He decided fresh air was the best option, and opted to go sit by the beach.

Percy grabbed his sneakers and the blue hoodie his mom got him for Christmas, pulling it over his head. He pulled the six pack of coca-cola out from under his bed. He hid it there incase of emergency, like this one. As he moved to grab a blanket he thought back to that afternoon. Tantalus was truly the cruelest person out there because the way he accused Esmeralda was fucked up. Percy had never seen Em cry before. And he wasn't going to lie, it broke his heart to see her vulnerable like that.

He snuck out of cabin three and started walking towards the water. He stopped half way as he passed the Hermes cabin. He wanted to check on her, he really did, but he was worried she still hated his guts. Fuck it he though as he strolled over towards cabin eleven. He walked around the back knowing that her bunk was near the back windows, he knew because his sleeping bag was positioned on the floor next to her bed during his time in the Hermes cabin.

He put his stuff down in the grass and peeked through the window, there she was. She laid on her stomach, the sheets covering from her hips down only. Her curly fell over her shoulder in a waterfall of tight, dark brown curls. One of her arms hung off the side of the bed as her fingers traced the wood patterns on the floor. And the black t-shirt she wore hung loosely on her body.

Percy cursed himself for staring, he pulled away from the window quickly. What was he doing, this was psycho level creepy. He moved to pick up his stuff, slightly satisfied now that he knew she was alright. However as he reached for the six pack of soda he realized how lonely he looked.

She's right there, he though,  just do it, what's the worse that could happen?

He gently tapped on the glass, catching the girl's attention. She looked up at the widow, her brown eyes landing on Percy. She slowly stood and walked over to the window, Percy watched her fiddle with the lock before pushing it open.

"What do you want, Jackson?" She asked, leaning against the windowsill. Jackson, he hated being on a last name basis, especially with her. He wanted her to call him seaweed brain or even idiot, actually he just wanted her to be his friend again. Now that she was up close he could see how bloodshot and tired her eyes were. She'd been crying and was obviously not ok.

"I- I just wanted to make sure you were ok." He said quietly.

"I'm fine, thanks." She spoke dryly, still sniffing slightly. Em turned away from the window about to walk away.

"Em wait," the girl looked back at him and he raised his pack of coke, "come with me?"

She looked at him for a moment before nodding slightly. "One sec,"

Percy nodded and she disappeared back towards her bed. She'd thrown on a black and white bomber jacket and her converse. Em crawled out the window carefully, Percy offered her a hand but she ignored him and hopped out onto the grass.

They walked down to the beach and laid down the blanket. Once settled Percy turned to her, she was watching the water ripple back and forth gently. Her expression was unreadable, per usual, she never let her face tell people when she was upset or hurt. Percy wanted to say something, but he didn't know what.

Luckily for him he didn't have to because she spoke first. "What are you thinking about?"

He took a deep breath, "what's wrong?"