034

(Small mention of suicidal thoughts)

Esmeralda woke up to someone poking her in the ear.

"Yo!" She swatted Percy's hand away and he ran away laughing.

"Good morning princess." He said from across the room (where she couldn't slap him). He had a big grin on his face after provoking her.

Em sat up, "good morning asshole." She said, rubbing her eyes. "What time is it?"

"Uh, a little after six." Percy said.

"Why'd you wake me up so early, we don't have to be at breakfast till seven." She grumbled. She was always sleepy, it was a natural child of Hades thing.

"So you can get out of here without getting caught." He said, and it was honestly it was pretty smart of him.

"Damn you're kicking me out already? What happened to staying as long as I like." Em joked.

Percy crossed his arms over his chest, "do you really want to get caught walking out of here?"

Though they'd done nothing, Esme still dreaded the idea. She thought of all the things Selina would say if the daughter of Aphrodite caught her sneaking out of the Poseidon cabin in the morning. "Yeah, no."

"Exactly." Percy was still standing on the other side of the cabin.

"Jesus Percy do you really think I'm gonna hit you."

"I don't know, you're grumpy in the morning."

"Well I'm not." She said.

Stupidly, Percy believed her and walked back over to the bed. As soon as he was close enough Esmeralda sprang up, grabbing him by his t-shirt. She threw him onto the bed and smacked him with the nearest pillow.

"You fuckin' lair!"

Esme laughed, "that's for sticking your finger in my ear."

Percy grabbed her and rolled over on the bed, trapping Em underneath him. She tried to push him off but he pinned her down.

"Stuck?" He teased.

"Percy get off me." She tried to fight but it was no use, he was physically stronger than her.

"You lied to me."

"Get over it, you're hurting me." She complained.

"Shit sorry," Percy sat back. Unfortunately a split second later he was smacked in the face with another pillow.

"Yikes, twice in a row."

"I hate you so much." Percy sat up, prepared in case she attacked again. Thankfully she'd decided not to.

"No you don't." Esme laughed and Percy couldn't help but admire the girl in front of him. He was glad that with everything going on around them, he still had her by his side. He hoped that was how it would be forever, or at least a really long time.

Esme noticed his gaze and grew slightly uncomfortable. What was he thinking about when he looked at her like that? "I uh, I should go before someone sees me."