Birthday Cards or Love Letters?

★★★

★Happy Birthday Princess★

Happy Birthday Princess

December 24, Esmeralda Beckendorf's birthday. Or Christmas Eve but which one do you think Percy Jackson was more excited about.

"Mom! Where's the tape?" Percy yelled through the apartment.

"It's on the second shelf where I always leave it!" Sally Jackson replied from the other room.

"No it's not! I already checked."

Sally walked in and sighed, reaching over her son's head. "Check again," she said as she grabbed the tape off the second shelf.

Percy smiled sheepishly, "when did that get there." He said, taking the tape. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, don't wrap it sloppily." She gently tapped him on the head with a roll of pink wrapping paper.

"I won't. I know what I'm doing." Percy said, taking the tape and wrapping paper back to his room. He'd spent the past month searching for the perfect birthday gift with his mom. Esme's favorite color was pink, that was obvious. However that still didn't give him much to work with. Finally, after weeks of struggling he passed a shop, his eyes catching a glimpse of a pair of shoes in the window. They were converse, like the ones she always wore. But they were light pink, with little flowers around the heel. After asking Annabeth to find out her size, he bought the shoes and brought them home to wrap.

Now he was in his room, fighting one of the toughest monsters known to man.

Wrapping paper.

Now yes, Percy had just told his mother that he knew what he was doing. But that was a lie. Now he was currently having a silent battle with the pink paper, struggling to make the folds and creases work with him.

"Stupid piece of shit." He mumbled under his breath.

Just then his mother walked in holding up a birthday card, "Percy I found a card-" she froze when she saw the scraps of paper and tape stuck in his hair. "Percy sweetheart, you were supposed to wrap the gift, not yourself."

"Ha ha, very funny." Percy grumbled.

"Do you need some help?"

"Yes please."

Sally smiled, kneeling next to him on the floor. She must have been magical or something because the wrapping paper seemed to do the work for her. When she was finished, she presented him with a perfectly wrapped box.

"You're magical." Percy said.

Sally just laughed. "Here," she handed him the birthday card, "don't forget to write your little love letter."

"Mooom," Percy whined, "it's not a love letter it's just a card."

"Alright fine, it's just a card." She raised her hands in defense but she couldn't help smiling as she walked out of her son's room.