Chapter One

Osprey waggled her hindquarters, facing Alaska and Kestrel. They both snarled, barely a squeak. She leaped, barreling into Kestrel while Alaska batted her back with fluffy white paws. Osprey yowled and exploded between them, and they fell back. She ran towards the stick beside their nest, with her siblings hard on her paws.

"I've got it!" She yowled, the sturdy stick in her mouth. Kestrel and Alaska growled in frustration and plopped down beside her.

"What now?" Alaska asked, wrinkling her nose.

Kestrel was zoned out, staring at the ledge where their father, Crimson addressed the group. Osprey followed his gaze to see him step into the light and look down to them. She immediately straightened her posture and licked her ruffled fur. Crimson dipped his head and called out to the group. Wren sat at the base of the ledge. Goffin sat at the edge of camp, while Flicker, Dove, Finch, and Macaw gathered around. Crimson nodded to Osprey, Kestrel, and Alaska to come forward.

"As you know, I am aging. Soon it will be my time to join our ancestors. I believe it is time to start training a successor."

Every cat leaned forward, eager to find out who would lead the group next. Crimson towered above them, his fiery wings stiff.

"I will begin training Osprey to take my place. Dove will train Alaska, and Macaw will train Kestrel."

The small group erupted into gasps, and all eyes set on her. Osprey ducked her head in embarrassment. She didn't like being the center of attention. Kestrel nudged her.

"Congratulations, sis!" He purred. Osprey nuzzled his should and murmured thanks. She could feel Alaska fuming beside her. Osprey had seen Alaska trying to impress their father lately, and could tell she was really upset. She nodded to the purrs and mews of congratulations and padded to Alaska, who was looking out over the mountains at the entrance to camp.

"Alaska, I'm sor-"

She hissed and whipped her head around. "Perfect Osprey. Always his favorite." She stood, her icy eyes flaring. "When you become leader, you will regret it, Osprey." Alaska slowly made a circle around her, then stalked to her den.

-

Osprey blinked open her eyes to see Crimson standing above her. "Father? It's so early..."

"Get up. I need to show you something."

Osprey yawned and stretched, then followed her father to his den. She had rarely been here. Osprey stepped into a large and damp cave. She gasped, noticing the underground river and hole in the roof. It let in moonlight and bathed the whole cave, illuminating the rocks and river.

"This is my den, where you will be one day." He nodded.

Osprey gulped and sat. "When do I start training?" She asked feebly. This task suddenly felt a load more than her shoulders could hold. Her father eyed her.

"Are you scared?"

Osprey immediately straightened her posture. "A.. A little." She opened her mouth to speak again, about to confess Alaska's jealously, but quickly stopped herself.

Her father nodded. "I was too, when I was appointed. I was to be the second leader, and I was expected to live up to Moon's memory."

"Moon?" Osprey tipped her head.

He sighed, his gaze fixed on the cave wall. She could see many emotions flash through his eyes. "Moon was the leader before me. She was magnificent. She made this small group. Though she didn't live long, she will be remembered for a very long time."

"How.. How did she die?" Osprey whispered, staring into the underground river.

"She was caught flying in a storm, and lightning struck her. With all the rain..."

Suddenly his words stopped abruptly, and Osprey opened her eyes. She was sitting atop a tall peak, and could see storm clouds rolling into the sky from the distance. She couldn't move or yowl for help. She could only watch.

Giant, dark clouds filled the sky and cast a shadow upon the mountains. Osprey could make out a gray figure, large feathery wings spread and bolting towards the peak.

Heavy rain started pouring from the clouds and drenched Osprey within seconds. It obscured her vision, but she could still make out the lone figure fighting to fly through the downpour.

Suddenly thunder shook the clouds and a loud crack filled the air. Others followed, and through the chaos, she could see one strike the grey figure. It blasted the cat backwards through the rain, and she began spiraling down towards the ground.

Osprey tried to move, to yowl, to close her eyes, but it was no use. She watched as the figure hit a tree and fell through the branches, landing on the ground with a thud. Branches and leaves covered her pelt and a deep, charred gash in her shoulder marked the spot where the lightning struck her. Her blue eyes were glossy and glazed over.

Then, everything went black.

-

A/N: Wooooo
Yeah it started very abruptly. Sorry about that.
Comment why you think Osprey had that vision!