Chapter Five

"You.. You fool! It's all lost! It's hopeless!" The old gray tom spat. He had a sharp tongue, but his eyes were dull and his pelt matted with age.

Osprey flattened her ears. "What.. How.. B-but.." She stuttered, starting to shake. "What's going on? Why can't I sleep without cats invading my dreams, sending me useless warnings? Why have you done this?"

"They're not useless! You're blind! Blind! Open your eyes, Osprey!" Suddenly his own eyes rolled into the back of his head and he stumbled backwards, beginning to speak in a flat tone.

"Blood will fade and they will be lost in insolence. Without the hawk, it will all shatter and corrupt. Do.. Not.. Abandon them!"

The gray tom shrieked, starting to shake. Osprey yowled and tried to run away far from the clearing, far from the dreams, far from her responsibility, far from the world.. But that's all she could do. She could only try. But her paws couldn't and wouldn't move. She was stuck, in that clearing, in the mountains, in her position. She couldn't do a thing.

And this made her furious.

-

Osprey woke yowling, scrambling in her nest and breathing heavily. She saw the outline of Flicker's ginger pelt skid into the den, alarm glinting in his eyes.

"Osprey! Are you all right?" He learned forward.

Osprey looked away. "J-just a nightmare.." Her voice broke. She knew this wasn't a nightmare. This was real.

Flicker crept forward, curling up beside her and warming her with his fur. He lay his head on her shoulder. "Tell me what happened."

Osprey sighed, laying her head on her paws. "The gray tom that came to me when I was a kit.. He's back. He called me a fool. He told me it was all lost. Then he gave me some sort of riddle.. I guess you could call it a prophecy.." She trailed off, her voice breaking.

"Flicker, I can't do this anymore. I can't stay here. I.. I'm thinking about leaving." Osprey said, staring into the distance.

Flicker shook his head. "No, Osprey.. I can't be without you. I'll.. I'll come."

Osprey sighed again. "You're one of the group's strongest warriors. They need you."

"But.. Dove is going to have kits soon. That'll be more cats!" He said hopefully.

Osprey closed her eyes. This hurt. "Flicker.. I can't do this to you."

He wouldn't hear it. "Shh.."

Osprey lay her head down, closing her eyes.

-

Osprey woke the next morning to light filtering into the cave. The spot where Flicker had been was empty, and cold leaf-bare air chilled her fur. She stretched, climbing out of her nest to see cats gathering around the ledge where her father addressed the group. He stood with his head high, yellow eyes scanning the crowd below.

They landed upon Osprey and dread filled his gaze. She stared defiantly back, meeting his gaze steadily. He was the first to look away.

Crimson waited until the chatter died down, then he cleared his throat. "My loyal cats." He addressed. "As you know, Osprey has abandoned her role as successor, and it is time for me to appoint another. Our new successor will be Alaska."

Some cats cheered, some purred warmly at Alaska, but most turned to look at Osprey. She didn't meet any of their gazes; she just stared at her father. She had a funny feeling in her chest. Somehow, she knew this wasn't right.

Alaska sauntered up and jumped onto the ledge beside her father. Her eyes withheld a glint of satisfaction and she raised her head.

"Thank you, father. I swear I will do my best to serve the group better than the last cat."

Osprey stilled, staring Alaska in the eye.

Crimson dismissed the group and Alaska leapt down from the ledge gracefully. Osprey stepped forward. "Congratulations, sister." Though her words were cheerful, her eyes were cold.

"Why, thank you. Now, go hunt or something. I have things to do as our future leader." She flicked her tail dismissevly.

A low growl began in Osprey's throat, and she kept her paws rooted to the ground.

"Go on. You need to prove your loyalty once more." Alaska purred.

Osprey snapped. She lunged at Alaska, claws extended. Knocking her to the ground, she clawed down her fluffy white stomach, staining it red. Alaska clawed across Osprey's muzzle, drawing blood. Yowling, she bit Alaska's shoulder as she was pulled off of her sister. She looked up to see Flicker pulling her by the scruff onto the cold stone floor.

Osprey blinked, snapping out of it. She saw Alaska huffing to sit up, her once beautiful white pelt stained red. Osprey's eyes widened.

What have I done?

She slowly backed towards the entrance of the cave, then sprinted outside. Flicker didn't move a muscle, just stared at her with a blank expression.

Osprey spread her wings and took off.

-

A/N: Ya don goofed up Osprey. Comment what you think will happen next .3.