Chapter Four

"I'm sorry! I already said that!"

Growling, Crimson shook his head. He stuck his muzzle in her face. "You must show more strength. They will lose hope."

Osprey growled, her ears flattening onto her head. "Strength is more important than leadership? Or friends? Or following you heart?"

"Leave, now." Crimson's lip curled into a snarl, and Osprey stomped out of his den.

She padded across the cave to meet Flicker. "I'm ready now."

Flicker nodded and they ran towards the entrance to camp, unfolding their wings. Together, they leapt off of the ledge and soared through the sky, over peaks and treetops.

Osprey closed her eyes, feeling the cold wind against her fur. She shut out the world, trying to forget what just happened, and got lost in her thoughts.

Finally Flicker broke the silence. "I really am glad."

"Huh?" Osprey said, opening her eyes.

"That you came back alive."

Osprey shrugged. "Well, I'm going to be leader one day. Of course you are." She said bluntly.

Flicker sighed. "Osprey, what's wrong?"
He flapped his bright wings, gaining altitude.

Osprey sighed. "You'd think I was crazy."

Osprey really hadn't planned on telling anyone. But Flicker was the one cat that was really there for her, it seemed, and she needed to let her feelings out. Had she overlooked him all this time, when she was alone and scared?

Flicker shook his head. "No. I'm a good listener." He said, and Osprey cleared her throat.

"Do you remember when I was first appointed successor, and I had that black out? I had a vision. Of the old leader's death. Then, I saw her in the water instead of my reflection. I started having dreams of wailing cats.. And sometimes dreams of the past. Like when my father was appointed deputy.

Once, when I was a young kit, an old tom came to me in my dreams and warned me times were going to be hard, and to follow my heart. I just don't know what to do.." She trailed off, her ears drooping.

Flicker flew a little closer to her and nuzzled her. "You know, I think our ancestors give the hardest battles to it's strongest cats."

Osprey blinked, surprised by his insight. He went on. "I think maybe the old leader is trying to guide you, but you won't listen hard enough, so she has other means of getting your attention. Maybe she's showing you visions of the past so you can correct the mistakes you or your father made..." He trailed off, chuckling. "Who am I kidding? I'm just the old bully Flicker, out to annoy everyone."

He was silent for a moment, and Osprey took the chance to speak up. "Flicker.. That's not true. You're a brave and strong cat." She searched for the word. She rested her tail on his shoulder. "Now, come on! We have to bring back some prey to the group."

Flicker nodded enthusiastically and swooped down towards the ground. Osprey followed, the wind whipping her face. They landed on the forest floor silently.

Osprey opened her mouth slightly to taste for scents. She picked up shrew after a moment, and immediantly dropped into a low crouch. Folding her wings behind her, she crept forward to where the small bird was pecking at the roots of a nearby tree.

Hackles raising, she pushed off the forest floor and landed on the bird. It squawked, trying to escape. Osprey killed it with a quick nip to the spine and held up the limp bird.

"Great catch!" Flicker purred, flicking his tail. Osprey said her thanks through a mouth full of feathers, and watched as Flicker headed deeper into the forest. She buried her shrew and padded after him silently.

Suddenly, he stopped, sniffing the air. There was a small stream running through the trees up ahead, and a vole scrambled down its bank. Osprey dropped into a crouch and Flicker stalked forward, his paws gliding over the forest floor. When he got to the vole, he raised his hackles and lunged, grasping the vole between his large ginger paws and snapping its neck.

"Great job, Flicker!" Osprey purred, resting her tail on his shoulder. "Let's hunt some more, then get back to camp. They might be worried."

-

Osprey and Flicker swooped into camp with prey crammed into their jaws, and proudly carried it to the fresh-kill pile. Osprey dropped her shrew, mouse, and squirrel on the pile.

Stretching, she picked one off the top of the pile and took it to the edge of camp. Flicker followed, and they ate their share together. Osprey was dozing off beside Flicker when she heard a cough.

She raised her head from Flicker's shoulder to look up at her father.

"Where have you been? You missed a whole day of training!" He hissed, advancing.

Osprey stood, enraged. "You told, me to get out. I hunted for the group, instead of sitting around staring at a puddle of water!" She spat, hackles raising.

"You ungrateful piece of mouse-dung! You don't have the gift. I was mistaken. You can't see past your own needs."

Osprey hissed. "What gift? Being a nagging old cat that sits isolated in a cold cave? If that's the 'gift' then I don't want it. I don't want this!"

Crimson's lip curled into a snarl. "Then you don't have to have it. I, Crimson-"

Osprey cut him off. "I, Osprey, relieve myself of any duties that have to do with you!" She hissed, whipping around and sprinting to her nest.

-

A/N: Hahahhahahahhahahahahahah
Comment what you think will happen next :3
Sass