Chapter Eight

Osprey gulped. Many cats were counting on her. She stepped forward and lept onto the ledge.

"If I am to be leader, first, there will be some changes." She announced. "First of all, hunting will be done differently. There will be different.. Patrols. One in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening. That is three patrols per day. Two to three cats per patrol. You can organize yourselves. Remember, I expect every cat to protect the others in their group."

Osprey dipped her head and disappeared into her den. She slowly padded to her father's old nest. It still had his lingering scent. She sighed and flopped down into it, closing her eyes. She fell asleep to the scent of Crimson.

-

Osprey, surprisingly, had no dreams. She awoke to the sound of a busy camp. Yawning, she stretched and gave herself a quick wash, then padded out onto the ledge.

A patrol was just coming in with prey. Leaf-bare was taking its toll. The prey was scrawny and thick-furred. Osprey watched as each cat dropped their contribution onto the prey pile. She dipped her head.

"Good job."

They said their thanks and walked to the edge of camp for a wash. She heard Flicker call out who was for the second patrol, but was cut off by a shrill yowl.

Osprey immediately leapt off of the ledge and sprinted towards the yowling. It was coming from a nest, where Dove was writhing in pain. Osprey's eyes widened.

"Dove's kits are coming! Get her into the medicine cave!"

Flicker, Macaw, and Finch rushed forward and carefully took Dove to the medicine cave, where Goffin was waiting with Wren.

Osprey slowly followed behind. Goffin hissed at them to get away, but Osprey lingered at the edge of the entrance.

Dove was breathing heavily and wincing. Goffin nodded to Wren and murmured something. She returned with a thick stick and gave it to Dove, who bit down on it.

"Alright, Dove, the first one is coming. I believe.." Goffin faltered, then stepped forward and ran his paws along her stomach. "There are about three.. No.. Four. Wow."

Dove nodded through the pain and yowled. The first kit slid out onto the moss and began mewling. Wren rushed forward and began quickly licking it, warming it up. Osprey stepped into the den.

The second and third kit came, and soon they were all warm. Finally, the fourth plopped onto the moss. Dove slumped back exhaustedly. The kits mewled, crawling towards their mother.

She lifted her head and studied each of them. She pointed her muzzle to a black she cat. "This one will be.. Raven." Osprey flinched, remembering the former Raven.

She looked towards a tabby and white she cat. "This is Shiver," she said, "and this white tom will be Feather." She pulled them closer with a paw and purred weakly. "And the gray and white one will be Moon."

"They're beautiful." Osprey breathed, a purr rumbling in her throat.

Dove sighed happily and wrapped her tail around the kits.

-

Osprey leapt down from the ledge to go on the evening patrol. Flicker, Macaw, and Alaska were lined up at the entrance. Alaska was speaking to Flicker, her blue eyes alight and tail rested on his shoulder. Jealously pricked her and she turned away, padding out of camp.

It had been almost a moon since Dove's kits were born, and they were already a handful. The group was deep into leafbare, as snow covered the ground like a blanket.

Osprey trekked through it with her senses alert. She heard Flicker and Alaska chatting happily behind her. She whipped her head around.

"Hush!" Osprey snapped.

They fell silent, an irritated look on Alaska's face. Flicker realized they were scaring prey as his voice died away, and he nodded, his ears pricked.

Osprey breathed in the scent of jay and dropped into a low crouch, the snow soaking her belly fur. Stalking steadily forward, she saw the blue and gray jay pecking at the roots of a maple tree. The forest around her seemed to stand still as she stalked forward. Bunching her hindquarters, she launched herself off the frozen earth and barreled into the jay, snapping its spine. It fell limp in her paws and she held it up proudly. Her groupmates purred, except for Alaska, who was stalking a squirrel.

Osprey raised her tail for silence as Alaska pounced, killing the squirrel with a swift nip to the back of the neck. She leapt up cheerfully.

"Great job!" Flicker purred, his tail waving.

Osprey's nose twitched and she turned away.

The hunt ended up being successful - for leafbare hunting. Osprey swooped into camp with her jay and a small mouse. They each dropped their prey onto the pile and went to warm up. Osprey leapt onto the ledge and cleared her throat.

"Gather for a meeting!" Osprey called, waving her tail.

Heads perked up and the group gathered around the base of the ledge, looking up at Osprey. She began. "I have decided I need a second in charge. It would help me greatly."

A murmur of agreement rippled through the group and Osprey leapt onto the cave floor.

"We will vote." She announced.

Finch spoke up. "I vote Flicker!" She said, looking towards her brother. Macaw, Dove, and Alaska voted for Flicker as well. Macaw was another contender, but Flicker ended up having more votes. Osprey leapt back up onto the ledge.

"Our second in command is Flicker!" Osprey decided, nodding.

The group cheered. But Goffin spoke up. "If we have a leader and second in command, what about our group? What are we? What are we called?"

Osprey thought about this for a moment. "A.. A Tribe!" She decided, licking her ruffled chest fur.

-

A/N: Idk well
What do you think will happen next?