★ twenty three.

I used to hear a simple song...

Jotting down words after words on a notebook, you hummed a song that your mind playlist put on shuffle. The side of your face on your folded hand, elbow against the surface of the table. Eyes glancing from the sentences on the screen onto the paper before you.

You continued on writing and writing on the page all the while humming the lyrics of the song. You weren't writing much - just notes or ideas to get your mind off of not so great thoughts. You could hear the faint commotion through the walls still. It's muffled, but it sounds like they're having a blast. As usual.

You smiled to yourself, unconsciously picking up the pace with your pen. Your handwriting getting slightly more wiggly. Reading the words from the monitor, you switched tabs, squinting your eyes to see if you were viewing the words correctly. Once you confirmed what you saw, you wrote down your ideas. You've been at this for a while now, at least. With many breaks - you were now at five pages. Ideas, quotes, schedules, random doodles. They're present in the journal.

Putting your pen down carefully, you picked up your phone and turned it on. Viewing the time, you saw that it was only late twelve in the afternoon. Heaving a breath, you unlocked the gadget, finally deciding to play some actual music.

Opening your playlist, your humming dying down, you tap on a song. You let it play as you familiarize yourself with the opening beat. Exiting the application, you open the gallery next. Scrolling through various memes, TikToks, and memories, you soon find the screenshot that you were looking for.

Setting your phone at an angle, you picked up your pen once more and resumed jotting down words and phrases. With music, you definitely work much better. Humming, swaying, bopping your head to the lyrics or the beat.

As the sunset spilled through the window and filled the room with a warm, soothing glow, you sat back in your chair with the pen in your hand. Looking out into the fading golden light, you released a sigh, feeling a deep sense of tranquility.

Soon, your thoughts drifted back to the little by little improvements that you made in the past two years and the many struggles along the way. However it's been nice with the gained company.

You never asked for any huge differences in your life, merely hopes to change that were mostly never happened. But of course, with the change that you had, you didn't mind at all. They grew with you, too, figuratively; they learned so much and have been so supportive of you.

It had been so long since you had first met them. They were so quiet and timid... Then over the weeks, they warmed up to you. Becoming little agents of chaos and wildcards. More tiny friends were encountered, added more blooming relationships. Over the months, memories were created. Those were memories that you'll forever cherish.

You're so grateful that they've been able to be a part of your life. You'd never take them for granted.

Yeah. A lot has happened... Time flies so quickly when you're focused on an activity.

Tapping pause on the playlist, you dropped your pen onto the table and stretched your arms and then your legs afterwards. Time for another break.

The next month, marks twenty four months.

05/15/23 - 577 words.