Chapter Two

The Tourney had just begun when the Princess entered the Royal box

The Tourney had just begun when the Princess entered the Royal box. Enora sat to the left of Alicent, an empty seat on her sister's other side. Unwin sat beside his mother, his feet dangling in the air as he was too short to reach the floor. Ilaria had been left in the Keep, her nursemaid watching over her. Enora had thought it best to leave her daughter behind, fearing the tournament would be too loud for the infant.

Drums beat in rhythm and the crowd cheered as King Viserys began his speech. "Be welcome! I know many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games. But I promise, you will not be disappointed. When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories. And this great day has been made more auspicious  by the news," The King paused for a moment as his daughter found her seat beside her friend. "That I am happy to share. Queen Aemma has begun her labors!"

The crowd cheered once again at the news

"May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!"

With those words the tourney started and two of the contestants charged at each other, leveling their lances at the other's chest. A lance met a shield with a crash. Since both contestants managed to stay on their horse they quickly grabbed another lance and rode again. This time around one of the contestants was knocked off his horse. The winner stopped his horse in front of the Royal box and bowed.

"A mystery knight?" Rhaenyra asked.

"No, a Cole, of the Stormlands."

"I've never heard of a House Cole."

Enora vaguely  listened in on Alicent and Rhaenyra's conversation, the majority of her focus resting on her son as he reacted to the violence before him. The mother had almost left him behind, not wishing for him to see bloodshed so young, but she knew it was expected for boys to attend. Feeling her hands were tied, Enora watched closely to the tourney going on in front of her and her son's reactions.

"Princess Rhaenys Targaryen!" A knight called from below, gaining Enora's attention.. "I would humbly ask for the favor of the Queen Who Never Was."

The Royal box filled with an uncomfortable tension, as the crowd laughed at Lord Baratheon's words. All eyes watched as Princess Rhaenys stood from her seat beside her husband and walked to the edge of the box. Lord Baratheon held the tip of his lance up so Princess Rhaenys could bestow her favor.

The drums beat again as the contestants got into place, readying themselves to charge at each other.  As soon as the Knights took off Lord Baratheon was knocked off his horse, landing in a heap of armor on the dirt ground.

The drums started beating again as more contestants rode out on horses. The Master of Revels, a short and stout man wearing a feathered hat,  walked out onto the pitch. "Prince Daemon of House Targaryen," The bearded man in a feathered hat called out. "Prince of the City, will now choose his first opponent!"