Chapter Fourteen

Enora enjoyed attending Small Council meetings, even though they were occasionally dreadfully boring they were a symbol of Viserys' love for her, since he had gone against tradition and allowed her to attend after their wedding

Enora enjoyed attending Small Council meetings, even though they were occasionally dreadfully boring they were a symbol of Viserys' love for her, since he had gone against tradition and allowed her to attend after their wedding. The Queen sat to the right of her husband directly across from her father, with Rhaenyra sitting beside her. Originally the heir was meant to sit beside the Hand of the King, but Enora had begged Viserys to allow Rhaenyra to sit by her side.

"The Stepstones were meant to be won for the realm," Ser Tyland complained. "But over the past few days, it seems we have traded a Crabfeeder for a Sea Snake."

"This is clearly a rebuke for passing over Lady Laena for Her Majesty, Queen Enora." Lord Lyonel spoke, nodding to where Enora sat.

"Years have passed since the business with his daughter." Viserys exclaimed. "Certainly, he cannot still be wroth?"

"The Sea Snake is an over-proud man, to be sure, Your Grace." The Grand Maester explained. "That pride has been injured. Perhaps we can salve the wound?"

"I fear Lord Corlys' pride is the least of our worries-'' Lord Beesbury began before Enora's father cut him off.

"I don't wish to cause you further distress, Your Grace. But my brother has sent disturbing word from Oldtown. Lord Corlys is said to have engaged in negotiations with the Sealord of Braavos. He plans to wed his daughter, Laena, to the Sealord's son. If House Velaryon entered into an alliance with the Free Cities then," One by one the lords all turned to look at Rhaenyra. Enora clenched her teeth as she realized what was being proposed, grabbing Rhaenyra's hand from under the table. "We would have to seek our own marriage pact."

Enora had prevented her father from marrying off her sister to the highest bidder and now he was attempting to do the same thing with Rhaenyra.

★・・・・・・★

Having three young children all under the age of four was difficult for the young mother. Enora knew she was lucky to have servants dedicated to caring for her children and a sister willing to help, but sometimes she felt like a terrible mother when she couldn't handle it all by herself.

The morning was already off to a difficult start, Enora had been awoken by a crying babe. A servant had brought in a screaming Helaena to be fed. Like she had done with her other children, Enora had decided not to employ a wet-nurse, instead choosing to nurse her children herself. She believed that by doing so a strong foundation for her relationship with her children was being laid.

The Queen sat upon the bed she shared with her husband, holding a sleeping babe to her chest. Aegon and Ilaria played on the mattress beside her with toys Viserys had commissioned for his son and step daughter. Across the room Viserys sat at his desk with Unwin, showing the boy how to design a new building for his model of Valyria.