Chapter Twenty-Three

Enora had taken great care to prepare the supper Viserys wished for. The finest meals had been prepared and the richest wine had been brought out to accompany it, musicians sat in the corner posed to begin playing just waiting for the word. The table was large and full as the members of Enora's family filled the table, the only empty space sat between Enora and Rhaenyra awaiting Viserys's arrival.

The Queen silently sat watching as her sons and Joffrey loudly conversed from their seats across the table. Helaena, Ilaria and Galene had gathered at the corner closest to Enora giggling and whispering. Rhaenyra and Daemon sat at the other end of the table, their gazes full of love as Daemon doted on his pregnant wife. Occasionally Rhaena and Baela would say something causing their father to laugh and turn to them.

Enora stood as the door creaked open signaling Viserys's entrance. The King sat on a chair carried by four knights using poles to lift the seat. Everyone else quickly followed the Queen's lead and stood up as well. As the knights passed her, Setting Viserys's seat down Enora leant over lifting Viserys's hand in hers and pressing a kiss to the back of his hand.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." Viserys spoke, taking care to not overextend himself. His head lolling to the side to look at his wife.

"Shall we pray before we begin?" Enora asked.

"Yes."At the King's agreement everyone closed their eyes and clasped their hands together in front of them.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Crone offer us wisdom and guidance in times of hardship. And may the Smith give us strength." Enora leaned back and opening her eyes, signaling the end of the prayer.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems." Viserys spoke. "My family has been blessed and continues to grow. My daughter, Rhaenyra, has welcomed two sons and my step-daughter, Ilaria, has been blessed with two daughters."

"A toast to our family." Enora smiled, lifting her cup into the air. Everyone followed with bright smiles as they drank to their loved ones.

"Hear, hear." Daemon called out.

A grunt from her left caused Enora to turn to her husband, confusion and concern filling her as Viserys moved to stand up. She quick pressed a hand to his back in an offer of support should he need it.

"Thank you, my love," Viserys whispered to his wife before turning his attention back to his family. "It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world."

With that Viserys lifted his hand to the strap holding the golden mask in place. The mask landed on the table with a thud as Viserys looked up and around the table. All could see the sunken skin and hole exposing the tendons and muscles in his cheek, and an empty socket where his eye should be.