Chapter Eight

Sun light filled the chambers, a soft golden light streaked through the still air as the sun rose. Two figures laid intertwined on the bed, covered only by the sheets. Though all members of the royal family had their own private chambers, the King and Queen preferred to share one room and one bed.

Green eyes fluttered open as the sun rose further in the sky. Enora was comfortable, she was warm from the heat that radiated off of her husband. The brunette lifted her head from its place against her husband's chest, admiring the sleeping man beside her.

Viserys' white hair was blinding in the morning light. Long lashes dusted his cheeks. The ever present furrow between his brows was nowhere to be found this morning, making the king look years younger. He looked peaceful in moments like this, though the years since their wedding had been filled with smiles and laughter, as Rhaenyra aged, pressure rose from the Small Council to find her a strong match. Letters from every corner of the realm poured in, all men and boys of varying ages swearing they were the best choice. To the displeasure of her father, Viserys turned to Enora, asking her opinion on every possible match. Every option that the small council seemed to agree on, the Queen shot down saying the Princess deserved better.

Though Enora wondered if she was just using Rhaenyra's situation to ignore the smaller amount of letters pouring in asking for Alicent's hand.

"I can hear you thinking." Viserys' chest rumbled beneath her touch as he opened one eye to peer at his wife.

"I can not help it, Viserys." Enora scooted closer, resting her chin on his bare chest as the king wrapped a large arm around her. "Everyday the Small Council grows more anxious that a match for Rhaenyra has not been secured. They blame me, saying I will ruin the realm by spurning all the eligible lords."

"Do not fret," Viserys whispered, pressing a kiss to the head of brunette locks resting on his chest. "I know Rhaenyra appreciates your effort to keep her unwed." Viserys' chuckled as his hand trailed from her back to her swollen belly. He gazed into the deep green eyes he absolutely adored. "I love you," the king whispered, pressing his lips to his wife's.

Enora melted into her King's touch, how she loved moments like this. All she needed to be happy were their children and Viserys' arms around her. Breaking the kiss, the Queen looked up at her husband. "As much as I love kissing you, we must get ready for the day. Our guests will be arriving soon."

The King groaned at his wife's words, throwing his head back. "Must we?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Enora giggled, running her fingers along Viserys' jaw. "You are the one who wished to celebrate with a hunt."

★・・・・・・★

Enora stood surrounded by members of the Noble families, The Queen wore a beautiful and simple long sleeved red dress, a scooping neckline showing the tops of her swollen breasts. And though Enora was heavy with their second child, their first born sat against her hip, smiling to all those around him. Alicent stood beside her holding Ilaria tight in her arms, Enora's baby girl smiled and waved at the Lords and Ladies she had seen two months ago when they gathered to celebrate her third namesday with a feast and tourney.

"He has your hair, Your Grace." One of the noblemen yelled out as everyone laughed.

"He does have my hair," Viserys smiled at his young son, he looked just like Rhaenyra did at that age. The father couldn't help but hope for more children, maybe one with silver hair and green eyes and another with brown hair and a lavender gaze.

"He has your eyes, Your Grace," another nobleman called out.

"Yes, he does. My wife has given me a beautiful child, I can only hope the one in her stomach takes after her." Enora smiled at her husband as he played with the babe in her arms. She could feel love swelling in her heart for the man she had married, he was a wonderful father to his children and an attentive stepfather to Ilaria and Unwin.

"Your grace," Tyland Lannister rushed to the King's side. "I bring urgent news from the Stepstones. The Crabfeeder has dug in for siege on Bloodstone while his men sabotage our fleet under the cover of dark."

"Not today, Tyland." Viserys barely spared a glance in the man's direction as he dismissed him.

"The matter of the Stepstones is regrettably urgent."

"It's been three years, it can wait another three days." Viserys turned back to his wife with a smile. Taking her soft hand in his he pulled her closer, placing a kiss to her cheek. "Come, eat. Fortify yourselves for the journey."

As the King stepped away from her, Enora looked around for her stepdaughter. Not seeing her in the room, the Queen handed her son off to a nearby nursemaid and followed her husband to the table. Enora filled her plate with an assortment of food one could eat with their fingers and left the room.

Enora set out to the Godswood, she had a feeling she would find Rhaenyra there. And just like she predicted there Rhaenyra sat under the tree with a singing minstrel, reading a book. The Minstrel stood up upon seeing the Queen, bowing deeply in respect.

"Your Grace," the man greeted Enora, standing up as she walked up the path leading to the tree.

"Did I say to stop?" Rhaenyra asked, ignoring her stepmother's presence, too entranced by the book in her lap. "From the beginning."

Enora merely smiled at the man as she carefully made her way closer to the trunk of the tree. With one hand she pulled the skirt of her dress tight, hoping to better see where she was stepping. Once at the base of the tree, Enora gently began to lower herself down so she sat on one of the large roots beside Rhaenyra. Before she was fully seated though, Rhaenyra moved one of her pillows, placing it on the root so Enora had something comfortable to sit on.

"I brought food," Enora held the plate out towards Rhaenyra. "I even grabbed a few lemon cakes."

Upon hearing the words lemon and cake, Rhaenyra looked up, taking the plate from her stepmother and placing it on her open book. "Thank you."

Enora watched as Rhaenyra began to eat a lemon cake as if she hadn't eaten that day. Knowing her stepdaughter she had probably forgotten in her eagerness to get to the Dragonpit. "Hand me a honey roll, please?" Enora asked, holding her hand out as the sticky warm roll was placed on her palm.

The two women ate in silence, the only noise was the Minstrel's continued singing and strumming. Once she had finished her honey roll, Enora spoke. "We shall be departing from the outer courtyard soon, Rhaenyra."

When Rhaenyra did not respond, Enora began to maneuver herself so she could stand up. Noticing her stepmother's struggle, Rhaenyra placed her book and plate to the side before standing up and moving closer to Enora. The princess held a hand out, waiting for the Queen to take it. Enora smiled as she placed her hand in Rhaenyra's outstretched one, pushing off the root with one hand while Rhaenyra pulled her to her feet.

"Thank you, my dear." Enora placed a kiss to the top of Rhaenyra's head in gratitude. "Remember to be in the outer courtyard within the hour." She called as she walked back into the Keep

AN: This might be my first "happy" Viserys fanfic.

-ELE