Chapter Twenty-Two

Enora sat at her husband's bedside, his hand held tightly in one of her's as she watched maesters and servants bustle around in preparation for one of Viserys's treatments.

"Ilaria and Unwin will be arriving today with their families." Enora spoke slowly and eloquently, taking care with her words so Viserys might better comprehend. "Unwin says that Titus and Myrielle are excited to see their grandsire again. And Ilaria is traveling with the twins. I can only hope that Joffrey is of any help, I remember traveling with two young children alone, it is no easy task."

Viserys wheezed, his lips parting as if he meant to speak. Enora sat straighter, leaning closer so she might hear what her husband had to say. When no words left his tongue, Enora continued speaking.

"Aemond came to my chambers late last night, he had a monologue prepared to ask for Helaena's hand in marriage. I know we always spoke of the possibility, but I must confess the idea of siblings marrying is still strange to me. Though I do believe it would make them happy, they have always been quite close."

"A-Aemond... and Helaena?"

"Yes, my love. Our son and daughter wish to be married. It is the way of House Targaryen, no matter how much my faith disagrees. I suppose that is what I deserve for falling in love with a man with the blood of Old Valyria." Enora smiled down at the man laying beside her, leaning closer so she could cup the uninjured side of his face. "I love you, Viserys."

One eye of lilac fluttered open, focusing on the figure in front of him. "I... love... you... 'Nora."

Viserys' grip on Enora's hand tightened as he gazed upon his wife, tears began to well in his eye as his gaze flitted across her features. He practically shook with the effort it took to focus his gaze and look upon his wife's lovely face. Heat spread throughout his chest at the gentle smile upon Enora's lips. Lips Viserys wanted nothing more than to kiss one more time.

"Your Grace?" A voice came from behind Enora, though she didn't dare look away from Viserys. She feared the moment she did the Stranger would steal him from her.

"Yes, Orwyle?"

"We are ready to dress and clean His Grace's wounds."

"Yes, of course." Enora sighed, knowing she had to move from Viserys's side. She leaned forward pressing a chaste kiss to Viserys's bare cheek, "Do be careful with His Grace."

"Yes, Your Grace." The Grand Maester nodded as Enora stepped away from Viserys's bedside. Though she remained close, watching diligently as the servants carefully used the sheets to pull Viserys's body to the other side of the bed. Hands pulled him to a sitting position and maneuvered him onto the table the maesters had set up.

Smoke from the incenses scattered throughout the rooms filled the air and a bell tolled in the distance marking the hour and reminding Enora of how little time she had left with the love of her life. She watched as the maesters cleaned and dressed the King's open wounds and oozing sores. Her stomach churned as she watched one of the maesters scrape away the rotting flesh around one lesion.