Chapter Five

Enora did not see the King at all the next day, Ilaria had fallen ill that night when Enora returned from the King's chambers. The babe had wailed as a fever took hold of her, breaking the young mother's heart. She had held her daughter close to her chest, soothing Ilaria as she best could. Unwin had joined his mother and sister in the middle of the night, unable to sleep while another one of his relatives was sick. Memories of his father's illness kept Unwin up and curled into his mother's side. It wasn't until The Keep had gone quiet that Ilaria finally fell asleep, Unwin quickly followed after his sister. Enora held her small family close, praying to the Mother to heal her child and to the Stranger to please stay away.

Ilaria's fever had finally broken after two days, a miracle to Enora yet also a reminder of her husband. His illness had always subsided before coming back stronger, and Enora feared her daughter might meet the same fate. The mother had resigned herself to not leaving her rooms that morning when a servant had knocked on her door.

The King had invited her to a midday meal.

That is how Enora found herself sitting across from the King after having not seen him for two days. His rooms were exactly like the last time she had been there yet now it was almost as if an invisible wall separated the two. A silence filled the room only broken by the sound of silverware on china.

"The Small Council is urging me to remarry." The King finally spoke, though his gaze remained locked on his plate. "It seems the realm wants for a new queen."

"A good and kind queen will give comfort to your subjects." The King finally looked at his companion, he had not realized how much he had missed her voice. "Does the Small Council have a particular lady in mind?"

"Lord Corlys Velaryon has offered the hand of his daughter, the Lady Laena. And Your father has offered your sister's hand."

"My sister?" Enora's mind raced, had her father succeeded in pushing Alicent into the King's arms. Is that why he had called on her, to break the news?

"Yes. Though the rest of the council does not agree with him, they believe Lady Laena to be a better match."

"It would be a very strong match, Your Grace." Enora began to hope that the King would listen to the rest of his council rather than her father.

"I must admit, I don't know Laena very well."

"I'm sure that she is good and kind, and that she will enjoy your company, as I have, Your Grace." Enora felt sick as she spoke of the King marrying a young girl. Lady Laena was only twelve for Seven's sake, she was a child who hadn't even had her first bleed yet. Wanting to change the conversation, she turned to the small box she had brought with her. "I brought you something."

Surprise washed over the King's face as Enora passed the small box to him. He slowly opened it, before looking back at Enora upon realizing what it was. A small stone dragon was lifted out of the box, the same one that had shattered days ago.

"I asked the Stonemasons to mend it after the last time I saw you, I wished to give it to you sooner but my daughter fell ill." Enora wanted the King to know she had not been ignoring him.

"This is a very kind gesture, Enora. Very Kind. How is Ilaria? Is she faring better?

"The fever broke this morning, the Maesters say she shall make a full recovery."

"That is wonderful. I am glad your daughter is well. I fear I invited you to join me for another reason besides asking after your daughter, I-" A loud knock interrupted whatever it was he had been about to say. Viserys straightened his clothes and posture, gone was the man Enora had been speaking to in his place was the King of the Seven Realms. "Come."

An uneasy feeling filled Enora as the doors opened, without looking she somehow knew who had entered before they had been announced.

"The Hand, Your Grace." one of the King's Guard announced.

If Otto Hightower was surprised to see his eldest daughter in the King's chambers he didn't show it. In fact he completely ignored her presence all together. "Your Grace, I've called the Small Council to an emergency session."

"Why?"

"I think it best you hear it directly."

"Very well. I apologize, Lady Enora, but it seems I am needed elsewhere." The King stood from the table and left the room, leaving Enora standing alone with her father.

Her eyes remained locked on the door the King had just walked through, not wishing to see her father's face. She didn't know if he was angry or happy. On one hand she had taken Alicent's place but on the other she had clearly caught the King's eye.

"We will speak later." He seethed, venom dripping from his words. Otto turned from his daughter and quickly followed after his King, leaving Enora alone.

What had she gotten herself into, her father would surely try to send her away to Old Town or maybe he would just kill her. Anything to push Alicent closer to the throne, after all she was his favorite child. Enora couldn't fault her sister for that, it wasn't her fault that Alicent was naïve and easily controllable. It was obvious Alicent had suffered their father's wrath after Enora had been sent away and had bent to his will.

★・・・・・・★

Like the day she had returned, Enora hadn't seen her father until a servant had fetched Enora at his request hours later. Darkness had fallen outside as Enora entered the Tower of the Hand, she wondered how he would kill her. She hoped it would be somewhat painless. But then again maybe he wouldn't kill her, there were plenty of fates worse than death.

The fireplace and the candles scattered around the room were the only things lighting up the room. In the middle of it all stood Otto Hightower dressed in armor as his youngest daughter clasped a cloak around his shoulders.

Otto didn't even look Enora's way as she entered the room. "Will you see the King tonight?"

"If he calls upon me."

"That will not do, since you have stolen your sister's chance at being queen I will have to make do with you. You will see him tonight."

"But-" Otto sharply turned to face Enora, the rage burning in his eyes frightened her. She couldn't tear her eyes from him as he stomped closer, until her was a breath away.

"I have half the mind to send you to Old Town tonight, marry you off to another elderly lord, but this time I will make sure to choose the cruelest man I can find. You will know no peace or love, your children will remain here where I can raise Unwin to be the perfect Lord." Enora shook from the effort it took to hold herself back, she didn't know whether she wanted to cry or finally hit her father for threatening her children. "Now, will you visit the King?"

"As you wish, father." Enora whispered, lowering her gaze to the floor.

"Good." Otto had won and he knew it, a smirk spread across his face as he stepped away. "Now leave, you must ready yourself to see the King."

AN: Otto's a dick.

-ELE