Chapter 13: Lotus

Mateo was conversing with his new protocol friend, Neon.

He was the new recruit after Harbor and Sage couldn't help but notice the similarities between him, Neon, and Jett. They were well liked by majority of the agents, outgoing, childish in ways, and the amount of energy they had when they were on the battlefield.

They were young adults who have so much ahead of them yet are forced to live in a world who discriminates against them. The next mission is going to take place in the Omega world, a new area that only Harbor and Astra have infiltrated was now ready for a full-on mission. So far, they only had the two youngsters, Sage, and Viper who volunteered to take on the quest. 

"Brimstone, is there anyone else who can come along with us?" Sage was practically begging for another agent to come since the one he assigned was a bit much.

"Sorry Sage, everyone else has their hands full with personal assignments, and she volunteered."

"Yes, I understand-"

"I know it's difficult, but we are all family here. We work together and you know this more than anyone. I trust that you will bring this team closer than ever, but you have to compromise." Brimstone tightened his lips, feeling both guilty and sympathetic towards his second in command. He gave Sage a pat on the shoulder before taking his leave to go do his own assignments.

Sage lets out a hefty sigh as she makes way into the kitchen to pack her food before her mission. All she could think about was what she was going to say towards Jett when she was back. 'Where do I even begin?' She questioned herself. Finishing up her lunchbox, she sees someone in the corner of her eye. 

"May I help you?" Sage asked in a sarcastic tone. 

"Sage, please, can we talk?"

"I have no words for you, Reyna."

"I know that you're upset, but we cannot continue like this. Jett wouldn't like us like this either."

Sage slammed her lunchbox closed and looked at Reyna with frustrated tears brimming against her waterline. 

"What would you know about her?" 

Months have passed and these two have not been able to speak ever since their last conversation. Despite being full-grown adults, in reality, they were all hurt children who had to grow up premature. Reyna leaned her body against the counter and tried to recall her memories with Jett.

"Jett and I are both mentors towards one another. She had joined before me, but she is still a child. Even on the field, we would compete against each other to see who could get the most kills." Reyna chuckled, "Funny how that would be our bond, through bloodshed. In ways, Jett reminded me, of me. She told me about her life before she had met you and that she would bring back her family if she could."

It was different. Reyna was being open, honest, showing vulnerability... something Sage only saw when it was about Reyna's younger sister, but the tears that were forming in Reyna's eyes for Jett was... moving.

"If Jett could carry all of that weight and still manage the will to save this world, who am I to ruin her safe space as well?" The guilt took a toll on Reyna far more than Sage had realized. The healer was too caught up in her own issues that she never took accountability for her words or actions. No one did. Sage embraced her past lover once more and felt the tears of the other seep into her shirt, onto her shoulder.