Chapter Two - Noah

I entered the gymnasium, the sound of bouncing basketballs filling the air. My teammates were huddled near the bleachers, engaged in conversation. As I approached them, they turned their attention toward me, a mischievous grin on their faces.

"Hey, Noah, heard you got a tutor," Evan said, raising an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes, not particularly thrilled about the topic. "Yeah, lucky me," I replied sarcastically.

The coach blew his whistle, signaling the end of practice. With a sigh of relief, I grabbed my bag and made my way to the library where I was supposed to meet Jade, my assigned tutor. She was already seated at a table, a stack of books and her laptop in front of her.

Jade glanced up from her notes as I approached. "Hey, Ready to get started?"

I shrugged, trying to mask my indifference. "I guess. Let's get this over with."

She gave me a knowing smile, clearly unimpressed by my attitude. "Alright then, let's work on your essay first."

We spent some time discussing and revising my essay, Jade offering suggestions and pointing out areas that needed improvement. Surprisingly, her feedback was actually helpful.

As we packed up to leave the library, I glanced at the clock and realized we were running late for our next class. I hurriedly gathered my belongings, eager to escape the confined space of the library.

Calculus was my first period, and as I walked into the classroom, my friends greeted me with teasing smiles.

"Hey, Noah, heard you're getting extra study sessions with a tutor," Liam said, smirking.

I rolled my eyes, tired of their constant banter. "Yeah, yeah, very funny. Just drop it, okay?"

The morning classes dragged on, and by the time I walked down the hallway, I noticed Jade seated in the library, engrossed in a book. I couldn't help but observe her for a moment, her focused expression capturing my attention.

Shaking off the distraction, I hurried to my next class, determined to keep my mind off anything other than academics.

During lunchtime, I joined my friends at our usual spot in the cafeteria. As we chatted, a group of popular girls walked by, led by Rylee Townsend, the self-proclaimed queen of the school. She stopped in front of me, flashing a flirtatious smile.

"Hey there, Noah. Have a date for winter formal yet?" she asked, her voice dripping with faux sweetness.

I smirked, playing along. "Not yet, Rylee. Still haven't found the perfect person to ask."

She giggled, twirling her hair. "Well, maybe you should consider someone like me. I could make prom night unforgettable."

I chuckled, not taking her seriously. "I'll keep that in mind, Rylee. Thanks for the offer."

As Rylee and her friends sauntered away, my friends burst into laughter, nudging me playfully. We shifted the conversation to an upcoming party happening over the weekend, discussing plans and who else might be attending.

After school, we headed to basketball practice. The coach gathered the team, his voice booming through the gymnasium.

"Alright, team, listen up! We've got an important game coming up, and I expect you all to give it your best. Noah, let's have a word."

I followed the coach to the side, feeling a knot tighten in my stomach. He leaned in, his expression stern.

"Noah, your grades have been slipping lately, particularly in English. If you don't pass that test next week, you'll be benched for the upcoming game, I want you to take this tutoring thing seriously."