Chapter Sixteen - Noah

The morning sun filtered through my window, casting a warm glow on my room. I couldn't shake the lingering thoughts of last night's kiss with Jade. The uncertainty gnawed at me; what if she regretted it? What if things got awkward between us?

I decided to shake off the uncertainty and head out with Liam for a game of basketball. The rhythmic thud of the ball against the pavement echoed the beats of my restless thoughts.

"So, spill it, man. What happened last night?" Liam asked between dribbles.

I sighed, "We kissed."

Liam's eyes widened, "Finally! How was it?"

"Amazing," I admitted with a grin. "But now I'm worried she'll avoid me. She seemed a bit off afterward."

Liam chuckled, "Dude, girls are complicated. Give her some time to process it. She'll come around."

"Yeah, I hope so."

As the weekend unfolded, Jade's distant demeanor persisted. I couldn't shake the feeling that something had shifted between us. I longed to hear her thoughts about that kiss, to know if it held the same weight for her.

When I returned home, my mom's silence echoed through the house. I found her lying in bed, her eyes reflecting pain I couldn't comprehend.

"Hey, Mom," I greeted cautiously.

She glanced at me, a forced smile barely reaching her eyes. "Hey, Noah. How was your day?"

"Alright. What about you?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

She sighed, "Your dad left."

The words hung in the air, a heavy realization settling in. I didn't know what to say, so I opted for silence.

"Ma.." I started not knowing what to say.

"I don't want to talk about it, Noah. Just leave me alone for now, okay?" she whispered, turning away.

I nodded, the weight of her pain sinking in. As I left her room, the unanswered questions about my own tumultuous situation with Jade lingered. But, for now, my priority was my mom, trying to navigate the storm that had unexpectedly swept through our lives.
________________________________
I delved into my homework, the rhythmic scratching of the pen providing a temporary distraction. The weight of my mom's situation hung in the air, an unspoken heaviness that permeated the house.

Amanda cautiously entered my room, her eyes filled with curiosity. "Hey, Noah, what's for dinner?"

I looked up from my books, weariness etched on my face. "I don't know, M. Mom's not feeling well, and I don't want to bother her right now."

Understanding washed over her, and she nodded, silently retreating from my room. I could sense her concern, the unspoken language that siblings share in times of uncertainty.

As the evening wore on, the house remained shrouded in a somber silence. I contemplated reaching out to Jade, seeking the solace of her company, but the weight of the day held me back. The complexities of family and the newfound complications with Jade collided in my mind, creating a whirlwind of emotions.

Amanda eventually took charge of dinner, crafting a simple meal that we ate in near silence. The absence of our dad cast a shadow over the table, and my mom's absence emphasized the hollowness in our family dynamic.

Later that night, I found myself standing by my mom's door. The soft glow of light seeped through the crack, revealing her solitude. Knocking lightly, I entered, unsure of what to say.

"Hey, Mom," I started, my voice gentle. "Are you feeling any better?"

She managed a small smile, the weariness evident in her eyes. "Not really, Noah. It's going to take time."

I nodded, the words hanging between us like unspoken fragments of our fractured reality.

I walked back to my room sitting on my bed.

The soft glow of my phone illuminated the dimness of my room, casting shadows on the walls. The remnants of dinner lingered in my thoughts as I debated whether to reach out to Jade. Amanda had retreated to her room, and the solitude amplified the quiet unease that had settled over our home.

After a moment's contemplation, I decided to text Jade. My fingers hovered over the keys, crafting a simple message that carried the weight of unspoken emotions.

N: Hey sunshine, can we talk?

Minutes passed, each one feeling like an eternity. The lack of an immediate response tugged at my nerves, creating a subtle restlessness. As I lay in bed, the ambient light from my phone cast a soft glow on the ceiling, its rhythmic pulses mirroring the cadence of my thoughts.

With each passing moment of silence, my mind wrestled with doubts. Was she avoiding me? Did she not want to be burdened by my family's struggles? The questions danced in the shadows, and I found myself spiraling into a maze of uncertainties.

Eventually, fatigue overpowered the restlessness. The glow of my phone dimmed as I drifted into a restless sleep, the unanswered message lingering in the digital abyss between us.
________________________________

The blaring sound of my alarm clock disrupted the peaceful embrace of sleep, prompting a groan as I fumbled to silence it. A quick glance at my phone revealed that it was nearly 6:00, and reality set in.

Dragging myself out of bed, I rubbed the remnants of sleep from my eyes and threw on a pair of comfortable sweats. The prospect of a hot shower beckoned, and I stumbled my way to the bathroom.

Under the cascading water, I let the warmth seep into my tired muscles, attempting to wash away the lingering weariness. Emerging from the shower, I opted for a dark thermal long-sleeve shirt and a pair of jeans.

Passing by Amanda's room, I made my way downstairs, raiding the fridge for a quick smoothie. A plate of leftover dinner caught my eye, and I decided to reheat it. Leaving a note for my mom, I hoped the gesture would coax her into eating.

"Ma, please eat something... I left you a plate in the oven. -Love Noah."

Concern etched my face as I thought about my mom, who had been sequestered in her room since the previous night. With a heavy heart, I headed to school, yearning for a glimpse of Jade to lighten the day.

The familiar routine of parking in the school lot played out as I slung my bag over my shoulder, anticipation building for the day ahead.
________________________________
As I entered the school I kept my eyes peered for a certain dark haired girl.

I sighed as I couldn't find her near her locker, or in the cafeteria.

I walked to class, putting my bag in my seat I walked up to my teacher.

"Hey Mrs.Stanton, I was wondering how I could bring up that test grade..." I said hoping she would be of some help.

"Yes, of course Noah, you can come in before school tomorrow and retake it." She smiled at me.

I nodded before going to my seat.

The bell rang starting class.
________________________________
Don't forget to
Vote Comment and Share.
xoxo
Alpine