Chapter Five - Jade

The familiar scent of books enveloped me as I stood behind the checkout counter at the bookstore, my second job. It was a quiet evening, with only a few customers browsing the shelves. I absentmindedly tapped my fingers on the counter, waiting for the next person in line.

A girl walked up, a book in her hand, I scanned the book and began the checkout process. As I reached for the book, I noticed the titled. Pride and Prejudice. One of my favorites.

"It's a great choice," I replied, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

I hear a stifled laugh, and I looked up it was Noah , rolling my eyes at him. He always seemed to find amusement in the most inconvenient moments.

"Sunshine," he said, teasingly using the annoying nickname he had given me.

I gritted my teeth, trying to maintain my composure as I continued ringing up their purchase.

"Why are you here?" I asked annoyed.

"It's a public place sunshine, I'm free to shop where I please." He said a smirk on his face.

"Forgive me but I didn't peg you for the book type..." I said glancing at the girl next to him.

She looked young, she was pretty her blonde hair tied back showcasing her big green eyes.

"I'm not, just taking my sister here to grab a book since she has begging me for a while." He said glaring at her.

She gave him a cheesy smile and looked back at me, "I'm Amanda..."

"Nice to meet you."  I said grinning at her.

As they gathered their things and prepared to leave, "See you later sunshine." He called as he left.

"Goodbye, Noah," I replied, my voice laced with a hint of annoyance.

With that, they exited the store, leaving me alone at the checkout counter. I finished up my shift and locked up the store, the silence of the empty street echoing in my ears.

As I walked home, my mind drifted to the recent announcement my brother Drew had made about his engagement to Rachel. The house felt strangely quiet, the absence of their excited chatter palpable. I ran up to my room, seeking solace in the familiar sanctuary.

Homework occupied my attention for a while, but as the evening wore on, I felt a restlessness within me. With a sigh, I decided to take a walk in the park, hoping to clear my mind.

As I entered the park, the sound of basketball echoed through the air. Curiosity pulled me closer, and I watched a group of boys playing on the court. Engrossed in their game, they didn't notice my presence until it was too late.

Bam! The basketball collided with my head, causing pain to shoot through me. I sat down on the court, clutching my nose as it started to bleed. The boys hurried over, their voices filled with concern.

"Hey, are you okay?" one of them asked, kneeling beside me.

"I... I think so," I replied, my voice strained. "Just a bloody nose."

"Well now at least have a reason for plastic surgery, Gavin here broke your nose..." a voice spoke from above.

"Excuse me?" I snapped looking up... "oh..it's you" I rolled my eyes.

Noah stood there, a stupid smirk plastered across his face. Irritation bubbled within me as I looked up at him.

"Yea it's me..." he said chuckling.

"This is your fault," I muttered, glaring at him. "If you could play better, we wouldn't be in this situation."

Rolling his eyes, he stepped forward, his tone filled with frustration. "I'm not responsible for your delusional head injuries. Now get up and follow me."