Chapter Nineteen - Jade

Thanksgiving break arrived like a welcomed pause from the whirlwind of school, offering me a chance to catch my breath. Noah and I had been exchanging texts regularly since our magical date, each message carrying a hint of the connection we were building.

As I scrolled through my Instagram feed, my phone interrupted with a FaceTime call from the girls.

"Jade!" Amaya's excitement burst through the screen.

"Yes?" I replied, expecting the inevitable interrogation about the date.

"How was the date?" she asked eagerly.

"Amazing. I didn't call last night because I needed some time to process everything," I explained, a grin stretching across my face.

"The kiss was magical, Amaya. It was the perfect date," I added, the memory lingering in my thoughts.

"Have you checked up on Elena? I haven't heard from her all break," I inquired, concerned about our friend.

Amaya's expression shifted, and her voice took on a different tone. "Um, Jade, I have something to tell you."

"What?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"Diego and I... we kissed," she confessed.

"What!" I exclaimed, caught off guard by the unexpected revelation.

"It happened Halloween weekend. He drove me home, and Elena was asleep in the backseat. It just... happened," she explained, her voice softening.

"Does Elena know?" I questioned, my mind racing to understand the implications of this revelation.

"No, and I can't tell her, Jade. It would ruin everything. Besides, Diego and I haven't had time to talk about it. I just don't want her to find out right away," Amaya confided.

"Okay, we'll figure this out. Call me tomorrow. I have to go; I have a shift at the bookstore," I said, trying to process the unexpected turn of events.

"I'm sorry, Jade, for putting you in this situation. Talk soon. Bye."

"Bye," I replied, ending the call with a mix of concern and understanding, knowing that navigating the complexities of relationships among friends wasn't always a straightforward journey.
________________________________

I arrived at the bookstore for my shift and, while tidying up behind the counter, a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Excuse me, could you point me to the historical fiction section?" A boy with grey eyes asked.

"Yeah, sure, it's the second shelf on the right," I replied. He smiled and walked off, and I took a moment to pull out my book, Agatha Christie's "Death On The Nile."

"That's a good book," he remarked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I just started it," I said with a smile.

"I've read it... pretty interesting," he grinned. "I'm Elias, but most people call me Eli." He extended his hand.

I shook it and introduced myself, "Jade."

"Nice to meet you, Jade. Hope to see you around," he said.

"I haven't seen you around... are you new?" I inquired.

"Yeah, my parents and I just moved here last week. I'm starting school on Monday."

"Oh, nice. What school?" I asked.

"Seacrest High," he replied.

"Oh my god! I go there," I exclaimed, looking up at him.

"Well, I guess I'll be seeing you around then, Green," he said.