Chapter 3

A week since your accident had passed. You had started to do small tasks like feeding the chickens and helping Mr. Pearson chop vegetables. It wasn't robbing homesteads and carriages as you would prefer. But, it was something other than sitting in your tent feeling sorry for yourself. Mr. Strauss had determined your neck was just bruised and you were allowed to not wear your neck brace. The bruises had begun to settle in, the entirety of your back was a purple and yellow mess that spread to the left side of your torso where your ribs had broken. Your neck and face had large stitched gashes, and your left eye was swollen shut.

While the pain had subsided slightly it still pained you to take a deep breath or do any strenuous labor. As you fed the chickens you leaned down to pick up the empty feed bucket and a shot of pain hit your left side you breathed sharply before continuing your task. "You know you're just going to hurt yourself more putting yourself through pain like that." A raspy voice almost reprimanded you. You turned to face the direction of the voice. John Marston was sat in the tree line on a rock as he watched you work. "Someone has to do it, not everyone can sit there looking pretty." You replied looking at the man. He grinned as his fading scars almost matching your fresh ones moved with his smile. "Hey, I'm just trying to help you out." He walked away as you finished your chores.

A couple of hours later, you were spooning out a bowl of stew as you turned you bumped into John which caused you to almost stumble over his feet backward. He caught you with his hand at the small of your back almost touching your bottom. "Woah there!" He said as he stood you back up. "Almost lost your food!" You smiled, resting your free hand on his chest for support as you stood up. Thanking him, you walked toward the table where Arthur had sat watching the whole interaction a wave of jealousy washed over him which he found confusing. He had never felt jealous because of a woman before. His face read the emotions he was feeling enough for Hosea to mention it. "Arthur, you seem troubled?" He snapped back to reality in time to reply to the older man "No...Hosea, I'm, uh...I'm just fine." The older man didn't believe him for one second but had other things to attend to so he dropped the subject as he walked away.

You sat down at the table as Hosea walked away, Arthur stared at you over the lantern-lit table with a look in his eyes you weren't sure you understood. You tried to understand the man's emotions but he was very closed off and hard to read. You smiled at him and he returned the gesture realizing you had noticed his scowl. You ate the bowl of stew as you engaged in conversation at the table, Arthur rarely spoke unless spoken to the entire dinner. You both decided to head to bed at the same time. As you walked together you looked at him "Arthur?" He turned his head to face you with a "Hmm?" you continued "Are you okay? You haven't spoken all night and I'm worried about y-" You were cut off as he grabbed you and held you in his arms. Your worry about him had brought him to build the courage to hug you. Kissing you was way far away.

You felt the warmth of him against you as you were shocked by the sudden display of affection. The scent of cigarette smoke and leather filled your nostrils as you breathed deep. He let go and looked at you holding you by your shoulders. His face, lit by the nearby lanterns, was bright pink. "I'm-" he chuckled slightly "I'm okay now." You were still shocked by everything that had happened in less than 10 seconds as you looked into his ocean-like eyes. "I'm sorry if I shouldn't have done that it's just seeing Marston grab you like that made me...well it made me...." You looked at him as he struggled the find the words. "Jealous?" You finished for him. He seemed appalled at your suggestion even though you were right. "No! Not jealous!" He remarked "Just uh-... Ah hell, yeah. It made me jealous." He said dropping his head in shame. You smiled at him but you were unsure what to say or what to feel, so you told him just that. "You don't need to say anything." he replied "I don't have much to say either. Uh- Goodnight Y/n, I'll see you in the morning..." he said before quickly shuffling into his tent leaving you standing there dumbfounded.