Chapter 19

John slowly made his way around camp announcing your pregnancy, you felt too nervous to say anything so you stood quietly behind him accepting congratulations and hugs. Later in the afternoon you sat at the fire by yourself, Micah came up and sat across from you. "So, having a little Marston bastard are you?" You felt shock and anger. "How dare you?" You said standing up and walking away, tears welled your eyes as you looked for John. You were so angry you didn't see Arthur and bumped directly into him. "Hey, look ou- what's the matter, why are you crying?" You pointed back towards Micah, explaining what happened. You were now full out sobbing, Arthur sighed. "Marston! Get over here!" Micah stood up and quickly left on his horse after hearing Arthur call for John. 

Arthur put his arm around you calming you, "Hey, don't you worry about him we'll handle it." John came walking over but soon began running after seeing you in the state you were in. "What's going on, why is she crying?" Arthur began to explain before John interrupted. He explained that Micah had already said the same thing to John about the baby being a bastard, he also claimed that you, John, and the baby were going to hell. He took your hand pulling you away from Arthur and into a hug. He apologized profusely, telling you the same thing Arthur had, that they would handle it. You sighed as you calmed down, "I want to get married John, before I have the baby." He smiled looking down at you, "Okay. Let's do it." 

You spent the next couple of weeks planning the wedding, John already owned a suit that he wore on the boat in Blackwater. But you still needed to find the right dress, you were flipping through a catalogue drinking your coffee with John. He sat next to you, "What about that one?" He pointed to a large ball gown that dragged the ground 5 feet behind it. You thought of how uncomfortable and heavy it would be and expressed that grief to John. "I'm just tryin' to help." You turned the page laughing before looking onto a beautiful, simple, gown. It barely touched the ground, it had ruffles along the chest with sleeves that sprawled down your arms. 

"That one, right there." You pointed to the page. He smiled holding your hand up to his lips, kissing it. "You're going to look so beautiful in it." He wrote down the item number, placing the note and money into an envelope. He addressed the envelope and gave it to Strauss who was heading to the post office later that day. You both decided when the dress arrived you would have the wedding within a couple days of it's arrival. 

Your morning sickness persisted for the following weeks, you sat on the dock after a rough morning. You could barely eat as everything made you sick but not eating made you feel even worse. "Susan told me to have you eat this." John said walking onto the dock. You shook your head, he squatted down next to you holding out a biscuit. "Come on, y/n you have to eat something, just try this please." You took the biscuit tearing off a small piece and eating it, you shoved the biscuit back into his hand. You tucked your knees into your chest and breathed heavily. John sighed and sat behind you holding you into his chest. He held you for about an hour tearing off pieces of the biscuit, silently forcing you to eat it piece by piece. 

The next day, John had mentioned something about a stagecoach job that intrigued you. "So when are we going?" He chuckled, "We?" You cocked your eyebrow, "Yes, we..." you retorted slightly angry. His voice became firm. "You won't be going, not while you're pregnant." You felt angry and disappointed, just because you were pregnant doesn't mean you couldn't do what you had been doing before. "Yes I am going, John." John began to reply but Dutch interrupted him. "No you are not, Y/n." You huffed, "Why can't I go? It's just robbing a stagecoach how hard is that?" John rubbed between his eyebrows with his index finger and his thumb. "It's not about how hard it is, y/n." Dutch continued, "It's the risk of you or the baby being hurt." John took your hand, "We just want to keep you safe." John said.

You felt hot with anger, jerking your hand out of John's grasp, you stomped away. "You're about to have a long nine months, Marston." Arthur chuckled after overhearing what had just happened. You sat on the dock with your feet in the water, still steaming from the conversation. "Are you alright?" a voice said behind you, you turned to see Sean staring at you with a grin. You explained what had happened while Sean listened quietly. "Well, Y/n. Da' way I see it, 'dey just wanna keep you and 'da baby safe. Ya' can't blame 'dem for 'dat." You rolled your eyes looking back to the water. He was right, but you weren't going to admit that.

You spent the rest of the day on the dock fishing, and messing in the water. You felt embarrassed by your outburst, so you didn't want to be in camp. "Brought you some stew." John said walking to you, he sat next to you handing you the bowl. You mumbled a quick, "Thank you." John sat quietly while you ate, but soon he broke the silence. "We're heading out tonight, gonna camp afterwards and head back tomorrow morning. Are you going to be okay alone tonight?" You chuckled, "I'm always alone at night, John. It's not any different." John stood up, "Alright, you know what. I can't talk to you right now, you're mad because I'm trying to keep you and my baby safe!" He lectured, "I'll see you later." He walked away angry, but he also knew you were right, the past couple weeks he had been scoping out jobs to make more money ever since you got pregnant. That came with consequences, leaving you alone at night, as most of the jobs required him being out all night and sleeping all day.