Chapter 7

You started to speak to Dutch more as the days passed, trying to prove to him you were worthy of going on a job with everyone else. He didn't want you to go as he was worried that you would end up getting hurt. You pleaded with him that you knew how to handle yourself. "Dutch, please! I've done so much on my own imagine what I could do with everyone else!" He rubbed his forehead. "I know y/n, but I can't be having you get hurt. You just got better!" You groaned "Just let me go on one! That's all I ask! Just one!" He stood up, "Fine! You aren't going to stop until you get what you want so, dammit just go!" You smiled proud of yourself, as you walked out of his tent. You walked past Arthur smiling to himself as he overheard the conversation. "You just don't quit until you get what you want do ya?" You grinned at him. "No I do not, and it works every time. When's the next job?" He looked over to you, "Robbin' a train, tomorrow night. You're going to need some clothes that are all black and a good gun." You nodded as you walked to your horse. You mounted your horse and began to head out before a voice stopped you. "Hey! Miss. L/n. Where ya' headed?" You turned to face the voice. "Ah, Mr. Bell. I'm just heading into town." Micah Bell was approaching you. He had recently returned to camp after being arrested in Strawberry. You hadn't spoke to him much, but from what you had been told he wasn't exactly a good man.

You gave him the benefit of the doubt and talked to him just like anyone else. After all, you were one to give 'bad men' a chance. He walked up to you. "Well I needed to head into town for a couple things as well." He said as he rested his hand onto your leg. You looked down at his hand and back at him. Disgusted, you pulled your leg away from his hand. "Oh, come on." He pleaded, "You know you wanna take a ride on a real man..." He said putting his hand back. "No, Mr. Bell. I don't!" You kicked his hand off this time. "Now leave me alone!" You shouted. Anger crossed his face before yanking you off of your horse. You landed on the ground hard as he stood over you. He leaned down and slapped you across the face. "Ain't nobody ever taught you not to speak to man that-" He fell to the ground faster than a sack of potatoes before finishing his sentence. After he fell you realized John had hit him with the butt of his pistol. Your face burned from the slap on your cheek. John helped you up and began checking you over, holding his hand to your cheek he asked "Are you okay? What the hell happened?!" You tried to reply but all you could do was cry.

You weren't sure if you were hurt, scared, or angry but you began to cry. John pulled you into a hug as Arthur ran over after hearing the commotion. "What in the hell is goin' on here?" John explained as you sobbed into his chest. He ran his hands through your hair trying to calm you. "Hey, you're okay. I don't think he'll be getting up anytime soon." He chuckled to himself looking at Micah's unconscious body. You soon calmed down and pulled out of John's arms. At this point Arthur had taken Micah back to his tent. You began to mount your horse again. "You think you're alright on your own?" You nodded "As long as that son of a bitch is far away from me, I think I'll be just fine." John smiled. "Alright just be careful. Got it?" You rolled your eyes. "I know." John grabbed your hand and pulled you down for a quick kiss before patting your horse on the rear sending you on your way into town

You shopped your way through Valentine picking up the clothes and a new repeater. While you were in the general store you picked up a chocolate bar for John. He mentioned he had a sweet tooth and you thought you would do something nice for him. You headed back to camp with your new stuff satisfied with your purchases. As you approached the entrance Sean was on duty. "Oy! Who's 'dere?" He shouted "It's y/n, don't shoot!" You joked. "I won't need to 'dem branches will take 'ya out soon enough!" You softly kicked him as you rode past. "Hey watch it, Irish." As you arrived back to camp you slipped the chocolate into your back pocket and walked to your tent to drop off your clothes. After you walked back out of your tent, John came from the side and wrapped his arms around you. He felt the candy bar poke against him and reached into your pocket. "Hey! What are you hidin' in here!" You quickly pulled away before he could grab it.

"Nothing." You lied, John smirked. "What are you hidin' from me?" He said reaching around you. You smacked his hand away. "Quit it, there's nothing there!" You began to slowly jog away backwards as John followed you it turned into a run. He quickly caught up to you and grabbed you which caused you both to fall onto the ground. He began to tickle you, "Tell me what it is and I'll stop!" You started to laugh uncontrollably. "John! Stop it!" John continued, "Just tell me what it is!" You couldn't take much more. "Oh my god! It's a candy bar!" He stopped and you reached into your pocket. Pulling out the candy bar you told him, "I picked it up for you in town. I was going to give it to you later." John grinned like a kid. "You know you ain't supposed to be buying stuff for me, that's my job." He took the candy bar from you and stood up, helping you up after. He held your hand and walked you to the fire. You shared the chocolate as you waited for dinner to finish.

Arthur sat at the table, steaming from watching your interaction with John. He quickly and quietly left the camp, he couldn't take seeing this anymore.