Chapter 17

Waking up you looked over to see John still sleeping, you snuck out of bed, dressed yourself and slipped out of the entrance. He always woke up before you getting your coffee, so you decided it was your turn. You poured two cups of coffee and turned back to the tent to see John standing behind you. "What do you think you're doin'?" He asked with his arms crossed. "Getting coffee." You said sheepishly, "I've told you, you don't get things for me, that's my job." He said scoldingly before taking both cups and walking to a nearby table. You followed behind him sitting across from him. He looked at you, clicking his tongue and shaking his head. "Mrs. Marston, don't you know a wife is supposed to listen to her husband?" You shot him a look that could kill. "If you expect that from me, I suggest you find another woman." You retorted to his tease. "I know, darlin'." He said reaching across the table grabbing your hands. "I wouldn't have you any other way." You looked down at your hand noticing your ring wasn't on your finger. You got up from the table and quickly darted towards the tent retrieving the ring off the table. You sat back down at the table. "Everything alright?" You slipped the ring on your finger, "Yep, just almost forgot this." He smiled, "Huh, guess you'll just have to get used to wearing it." he said chuckling.

Over the next couple weeks, day by day, you did your camp chores and waited for John to come back from scoping out jobs. You slowly became bored, until John came up to you one day. "Hey, it's been a while since you've been on a job. You want in on one?" You asked for details before you agreed. Even though it had been a while since the last job you were still on edge about getting back to work. "Robbin' some horses off them Braithwaite people. Said somethin' about $5,000." Your eyes widened at that amount, "$5,000? For horses?" John nodded sharing your shock. "Well, as long as it's safe. I'll do it." John smiled, excited to have you back by his side again. 

"Well Arthur's got an idea, play a little dress up." He said winking. John explained the plan, to have you pose as a wealthy woman looking to buy horses with her 'guards' Arthur, John, and Javier. You borrowed a dress from Mary Beth as you were both similar sized and you didn't have any clothes that would fit the 'wealthy woman' look. The dress was a low-cut, deep purple gown. You put your hair up into a high bun, loose curls framed your face which dawned light makeup. You emerged from the tent, as the men sat at the table waiting for you. John noticed you immediately, keeping his eyes trained on you. "Marston you're droolin'." Arthur teased after noticing Johns trance. You smiled, blushing as John stood up, lightly smacking Arthur on the back of the head. 

John took your hand walking you to your horse. "You look so...goddamn beautiful." He said leaning in to whisper in your ear. "Alright, you two we've got some business to attend to, let's go!" Arthur said mounting his horse, the rest of you followed leaving towards Braithwaite Manor. Several times on the way there you caught John staring at you. Every time he just smiled like a child and looked away. "Alright, y/n we're getting close you have an idea of what you're going to say?" Arthur asked. "Oh yeah, I've got a whole story.  I just don't have a name, I don't think y/n is very regal and fancy pants." You replied. "What about Rachel? Rachel Larimer?" John suggested, everyone agreed and you arrived to the manor. 

You led the way to the gate, "Can I help you, madam?" The guard asked. "I'm here to see about some horses. My name is Rachel Larimer." The guard looked at you questioning your motives. "I-I had an appointment with Mr. Braithwaite. I think." You looked back at John, nervously as the guard said he had no idea what you were talking about. John gave you a caring look that calmed you immediately. You turned back to the man at the gate. "I was hoping to make a...significant investment in these horses, sir. But I have other connections who are willing to sell to me." You said turning up your nose with a haughty attitude. "Ma'am, wait-" He said opening the gate. "Please, just head on to the stables we'll send someone to come assist you."  You rode past the man as the boys followed behind you. John rode up next to you, "That was good Mrs. Larimer." He teased, "You're a natural at being a snooty bitch." He laughed.

You got to the stables quickly and dismounted, walking up to the stablehand working on a saddle. "Excuse me, sir." The stable hand quickly looked up at you. Enamored by you he stuttered out. "Y-Yes ma'am C-Can I help you?" You noticed the man's nervousness and so did John by the look on his face. Although John's face showed humor at the man. "I sure hope you can, my daddy told me you was selling some horses that I would be interested in." You said in an alluring voice.

You looked back at John, who was just barely holding in his laughter watching this young stablehand try to find the right words. "I-I don't know if I can show you these horses ma'am, I don't believe they are for sale." You gave John a look that was silently asking for permission to flirt with the boy. He nodded and you turned back to him. "Listen, I know anything is for sale for the right price." You continued, putting your hand on his shoulder, his face began to glow red. "Why don't you just take me in there and show me the horses? Hmm? Then we can talk prices." He nodded, "I-I-I can do that, Y-You can look." He said opening the stable doors, as you walked in he kept looking you up and down but mostly at your chest. John stood behind him as you spoke to him keeping him distracted, John's face had gone from amusement to jealousy. Nobody was meant to stare at you the way that boy was except for him. 

John grabbed the boy, putting his hand over his mouth and holding his hands behind his back. In unison, you pressed the revolver that you had grabbed from John's holster against his chin. "Don't make any noise and I won't kill you, understand?" You demanded, "And if you tell anyone what happened, I'll come back and kill you." John tied his hands and feet and you tied a bandana around his mouth. John then tossed him into an empty stall. He handed you an extra bandana and you tied it covering your face. "Alright let's get the hell out of here." John said opening the stall door, soon the horses were tethered and the four of you began walking out of the stable. 

"Hey! What the hell are you doing? We're being robbed!" A guard yelled. "Let's go!" Javier yelled tying the horses to Boaz. You jumped onto your horse and began to ride, shooting towards the men chasing after you. "They've blocked the road! Let's go through the woods!" John yelled as you rode in the middle of the men. A Braithwaite entered your peripheral and before any of you could react he had jumped onto your horse. Throwing you off and onto the ground your horse continued to follow the group. After landing on your back the man jumped on top of you punching you in the face. John turned back jumping off and running towards the two of you as you struggled against the man. John tackled the man and beat him senseless. You sat up returning fire before John grabbed your arm tugging you towards the horse.

John grabbed you by the hips and tossed you onto Old Boy. Joining behind you he wrapped an arm around your torso holding the reins as he yelled, "Hyah!" making the horse jolt forward, he then shot back towards the house. Soon you made it into the woods and lost all the pursuing men. You felt blood running out of your nose from the hits to your face. "Shit, John I need a cloth." He reached into his saddle bag, grumbling as he handed it to you. "I hope I killed that son of a bitch, if he ain't dead I'll go back and make sure of it." You wiped your face laughing, "Oh, it's fine. I had too much fun to let this ruin my day!" John tightened his arms around you kissing the back of your head. "I'm so glad you're back with us." he said in a low voice. 

"Alright let's go see these men buying these horses." Arthur said riding off the trail. Two men sat on a worn down wall. "Can we help you fellers?" One asked, "We heard you're paying good money for horses." The man agreed claiming he would buy anything. John introduced the 4 of you, the man took interest in Javier. Interrogating him about his heritage, you stood next to Javier as he became more and more irritated with the man. But then he quickly turned his attention to you, "What the hell are you doin' here? This is a mans type of work." John quickly intervened standing between the two of you. "Why don't you step away from my woman and get back to our business?" The man laughed and continued the conversation with Arthur and John, you stood seething with silent anger as the man would periodically glance at you giving you a cocky smirk that made you see red. 

The man offered $650 for the horses. The men bartered before John agreed to the price. "You're a fool Marston!" Arthur lectured. He sighed heavily mounting his horse next to yours. "$650." He grumbled to himself. The two of you then rode back to camp silently, you knew not to talk to John when he was mad like this.