Chapter 12

TW: Abuse
Day 4:
You were given barely enough food and water to keep you from starving or dying of dehydration. Colm's men were constantly in and out, harassing you for information about Dutch but everything they asked you had no answer to. Obviously they didn't believe you and that's when the beatings began. They punched and kicked you in the stomach to the point that breathing hurt. They held fire against your back just enough to make you squirm from the heat. They did anything they could to 'make you talk'. They believed you were being loyal to Dutch they couldn't understand or believe that you knew nothing.

John and Arthur poked around Valentine more trying to find out when the gun delivery was set to take place. They eventually managed to steal some papers from the gunsmiths counter detailing about the weapons they had bought and most importantly when the wagon would arrive in Valentine to pick up the supplies. Luckily they found out quick enough because the wagon was set to be there any minute. John stayed behind at the gunsmith keeping a lookout for the wagon while Arthur rode back to camp as fast as possible to get the extra gunmen they needed. This wagon was going to be heavily guarded and they needed all the help they could get. He brought back Sean, Charles, Bill, and Lenny. Dutch decided it was best if he hung back at camp.

They arrived in Valentine with only minutes to spare before the wagon pulled up to the back of the gunsmith. The group watched as they unloaded the crates of weapons from the building to the wagon. Soon the wagon was packed and ready to go, and they started their way towards West Elizabeth.

The men followed behind it just far enough to not draw any suspicion but still nearby. When they came across an isolated area along the road Arthur gave his signal and the men moved in on the wagon. After a short gunfight Arthur and John dressed themselves in the company's uniform before continuing on the route with the rest of the men following behind them.

They soon began nearing the old shack you were being kept which they learned was called 'Old Mule Stead'. When they arrived the sun had just started to set. They made their way up the road loading their weapons preparing for the fight ahead of them.

You sat in the cellar as you heard talking from above. "Weapon delivery's here!"A muffled voice announced. You looked up at the ceiling sighing. Gunfire erupted from above you. You bolted your head forward as you listened to the shots ring out through the air. "Where is she?" That voice, it was John! He was here for you! "John! I'm down here, John!" You screamed with everything you had in your lungs hoping he could hear you. The cellar door opened but it wasn't John rushing down the stairs, it was Colm.

He quickly untied you standing you up and retying your hands. Holding a revolver to your temple he marched you up the stairs. Standing at the top of the steps he yelled "I've got her right here!" He then cackled as your blood ran cold, you've never been this scared in your life. Colm called his boys off as the group of men walked towards you and Colm guns drawn. "You get any closer and I'll blow her pretty little brains out" he said tightening his grip around your arm.

John began to reason with him, in Marston fashion of course. "What the hell do you want?" Colm's eyes narrowed, "I want Dutch, bring me him and you can have your little lady back." Arthur butted in, "We can't do that Colm, we need the girl. Look at her haven't you done enough to her?" Colm laughed. "Oh I can do so, so, much worse." You began to cry thinking of what he had planned to do to you if the boys hadn't have shown up when they did.

As tears poured down your face a shot flew through the air. Straight into Colm's neck, the cold barrel of the revolver dropped and so did he. You fell to your knees as John ran towards you. The rest of Colm's men resumed the gun fight while John carried you down back into the cellar to protect you. He sat you back in the chair and reached behind you to cut the ropes binding your hands. You noticed tears falling down his face. When the ropes were cut you jumped into him knocking him to a seat on the floor as he wrapped his arms around you. You dug your face into his neck, crying. "You're okay." He breathed shakily, "Oh god, you're okay." You sat back arms still wrapped around each other, leaning your head against his you said, "I told you nobody's taking me down without a fight." He smiled and sniffled and then pulled you into a deep kiss. A kiss you had been wanting for the past longest 4 days of your life.

The gunfire soon calmed so you and John walked back up to find a bunch of dead O' Driscolls and everyone else waiting for you. They looked at you with caring eyes. As you got onto the wagon you heard Sean question, "Oy' who took da' shot on Colm?" Everyone looked around waiting for one of them to claim the shot. "I did." A voice from a shadowed tree said. You all turned to look as Dutch walked over. "He said he wanted me so he got me." He chuckled, "Just not the way he expected." He walked towards his pearl white horse, "Y/n, I'm so glad you're okay, I'll see you all back at camp!"

The sun had fully set by the time you arrived back to camp. Not only had they brought back you, they brought back an entire wagon filled to the brim with new guns, ammunition and other weapon provisions. When you arrived to camp your eyes felt like they weighed thousands of pounds. John helped you down from the wagon and keeping his arm around you he escorted you back to your now shared tent. You were met with joy by the members of the gang on your way to the tent. As you walked into the tent you crashed onto the cot. John laid beside you slipping his arms underneath yours. He kissed that back of your head. "I'm so glad to have you back in my arms again, I'm never letting you go." You remembered all you wanted to do was tell John that one little thing before this all happened.

"John." you said. "Yes, darlin'?"

"I-I love you too. I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier." You felt John lean over and kiss you on the cheek. "You don't need to apologize. Go to bed. I love you." he said pulling a stray hair behind your ear and laying back down. He had fallen asleep almost immediately and you followed soon after.