Chapter 5

2 weeks had passed since your "fishing trip" with John. Dutch and others in camp questioned that you didn't bring any fish back. But they bought your excuse that the fish 'just weren't biting.' Well, everyone but Arthur, he figured John's intentions. He saw the way John looked at you, like a predator watching its prey waiting for the time to strike. His intuition was proven right when he overheard John talking to Sean after a drunken night as he bragged about your encounter that one afternoon. Knowing John all these years he knew John didn't care for you, you were nothing but a challenge to him. He was angry, angry at himself for not saying anything to you about how he felt or trying to stop you before you went with John. He was angry on behalf of you because he knew how hurt you would be when John begins to ignore you just like he had to the other women before you.

He leaned against a tree watching as you sat by the fire looking at John with lustful eyes. You waited for John to catch your gaze. John was busy stoking the fire not paying attention to his surroundings, he looked up at you and smiled before going back to what he was doing. Arthur huffed, looking between you and John. He walked away to his horse, he needed to get out of here before he lost his mind. You looked around as you saw Arthur walking to the horses. You've been wanting to get out since making a recovery from your accident. You got up from the chair by the fire, jogging towards Arthur. "Hey, Arthur! Wait up!" You yelled towards him as he started to mount his horse. You reached his horse resting your hand on the stallions neck. "Where ya' headed, cowboy?" You asked smiling up at him. He looked at you, a small smile crept on his face as the anger left his body. "Oh, I haven't decided yet. Just thought I would get out for a bit." You started walking towards your horse, "Mind if I join you?" You asked as you began to mount your horse. He smiled watching you "ask" him to come, when he knew you were coming whether he said yes or no. "Well, I guess I wouldn't mind some company." he muttered as he clicked his tongue to indicate to the horse that it was time to get a move on. You followed behind him as you rode out of camp.

You trotted down the road together side by side, quietly, you waited for Arthur to speak. He cleared his throat. "So-uh, you and Marston?" You cocked your head towards him shocked that he knew anything about yours and Johns relationship. "Uh-What about Marston?" He groaned, "Oh, please y/n I see the way you look at each other, besides I heard him talking about your little 'fishin' trip' with Sean a couple nights ago after you went to bed." Your mouth dropped as he looked at you with a stern look. "He don't care about you, y/n." He continued, "You're nothing but a conquest to him!" At this point you had stopped your horses at a grass patch to the side of the road. You felt anger begin to boil as you looked at Arthur. You breathed in as you felt tears brim your eyes. "He said it was best if we didn't tell anyone, and he told Sean?!"

Your voice was starting to rise. "I'm sorry, I should've stopped you from going with him." Arthur apologized. You groaned as you got off your horse. You needed to walk away before you rode back and killed John. Arthur got down to follow you, "Y/n, I don't know what to say." He said as he put his hand on your shoulder. You shrugged his hand off and turned to face him. "What is there to say, Arthur? I'm just the camp whore now! Just a girl for everyone to fuck!" Tears began streaming down your face. Arthur pulled you into him as you sobbed into his chest, he rested his chin onto your head. "I'm sorry." he whispered "I'm so sorry." He felt your small figure in his arms and felt heat start on his cheeks, butterflies started in his stomach. As the hug ended you left your arms around him as he rested his hands on your bicep. Looking up at him tears still staining your face. You used a finger to trace his jawline. "Why can't all men be as good as you are, Mr. Morgan?" You said sniffling.

Arthur's brow furrowed as he looked into your eyes. "I ain't a good man, y/n." he countered. "I've killed more people than I can count." You looked at him with pain in your heart as he explained. "Oh, Arthur. I know deep in that heart there is a good, good man." You said pointing your finger into the center of his chest. "Y/n, I want the best for you. I want you to be appreciated for the great woman you are." He started as he told you everything that he needed to say for almost a month. "I'm telling you right now, John ain't the man for you he don't deserve someone like you." You began to feel warm as Arthur continued to compliment you. Knowing it was an awful idea considering your previous encounter the last time you felt this way about a Van Der Linde man. You stood onto your tip toes and slowly kissed Arthur. It was quick but the passion in your body made it feel like it was hours long. As you pulled away you said "I'm not a good woman, maybe we aren't so different you and I." you finished smiling.

He looked at you as he pulled his arm down to the side his face flushed bright red. He looked back at the horses, "We- uh-may need to get a move on. It's starting to get dark." He quickly walked back to the horses. You followed behind him finding his nervousness extremely attractive. As you mounted your horses he looked over at you and reached for your hand. He grabbed it and rubbed his fingers over your knuckles. He smiled at you before dropping your hand and flicking the reins. Your ride back to camp consisted of replaying the tender moment. Realizing that even the love that John gives you could never amount to the care that Arthur can provide for you. He loved you, John lusted after you. You would much rather have love than be treated as a prize pony in the camp.