Chapter 22

A month had passed since John's injury and he had made an almost full recovery with a large scar to add to his growing collection. You were now 20 weeks pregnant and you found your clothes becoming tighter. You were dressing yourself and couldn't button your jeans, "Damn it." You mumbled to yourself, these were the largest pants you owned and now they no longer fit. You dug through the clothing chest pulling out clothes making a pile on the floor. You came upon a pair of John's pants, out of curiosity you tried them on. They fit comfortably around your swollen stomach. You chuckled to yourself looking down at the pants dragging the ground, his 6 foot stature made the pants bag and drag behind your short frame. 

Throwing on his black button up shirt, you smelt the smell of sweat, leather and cigarette smoke. Smiling, you buttoned it up looking yourself over, the sleeves hung off of your hands and the tail of the shirt reached the middle of your thighs. You were adjusting the clothes as John walked in. "Hey darlin, I'm going to..." He quickly stopped and began scanning you up and down, "Is that my clothes?" he questioned slightly grinning. You nodded slightly laughing at yourself, "None of mine fit, but these did." You said motioning to the clothes. He laughed walking towards you with his arms out, he wrapped his arms around you. Kissing the top of your head, "You look too damn adorable. I'll take you and buy you some more clothes so you don't have to wear these nasty things." You smiled up at him still in his arms. "Oh, but now I look like a real gunslinger!" You teased, "I'm the John Marston." You continued, adding a sarcastic raspiness and gruffness to your voice. 

"Shut up." He said laughing, "You couldn't handle a day as John Marston." You rolled your eyes pulling out of his arms, rolling up the sleeves and pants, tucking the shirt in. "Come on, let's go get you some clothes, Marston." He said taking your hand and laughing, you walked across camp passing Arthur. "Hey, Marston! Come 'ere." You and John stopped to speak with Arthur, "I'm heading into town, apparently Bill's got a job with that Gray family. Did you want to come with me? Might have some money at the end." John looked between you and Arthur, "I would but, I can't have my woman dressin' like this." He teased tugging at your shirt that bagged off of your body. "Gotta take her and buy her some bigger clothes." 

Arthur laughed, "Is she wearin' your clothes?" He questioned, still laughing. You started to feel embarrassed but still amused, John nodded, saying his goodbyes he walked the two of you to his horse. As usual he didn't allow you to ride by yourself, so you rode on his horse sitting in front of him. Arriving in Rhodes you noticed Micah, Bill, and Sean outside of the bank. John gave his regards and continued to the general store. Walking inside of the general store John handed you a catalogue,  you flicked through it, picking out 2 or 3 different outfits in a larger size. Luckily you didn't have to order anything as the shop keeper had everything in stock. As he carried your clothes, John suggested you stop by the post office to see if your wedding dress had arrived. As you walked across the town to the post office, the two of you noticed Arthur had joined the men and they were walking down the middle of town. John sped up his pace walking you towards the post office. "I don't trust something about that..." He said opening the door for you, constantly looking around the town before walking in. Standing behind you, John kept peeking for the window as you checked for your package. "Kilgore, Kilgore..." The man said digging through boxes for the gangs alias's mail. 

Suddenly gunfire erupted from the center of the town. "Son of a bitch I knew it. Y/n stay here, do not leave until I come back for you, understand?"  You nodded, swallowing quickly. John pulled out his revolver and rushed out of the post office. You couldn't see anything out of the window except for Gray's running in from the outside of the town. You had to sit and listen to the gunfire for what felt like forever, but less than 5 minutes later John ran back in. "Let's get you out of here." He said holstering his weapon. "John, what the hell happened?" He became stone-faced as he held your hand walking you to the horse. "I'll have to explain later we..." He sighed. "We have to go." 

You rode out of Rhodes confused and worried about the other men. You rode into camp, John was silent the entire time. "John, tell me what happened." You begged, "Y/n just-just come on." He rushed pulling you across the camp, you quickly were inside your tent. You sat on the bed staring at John waiting for an explanation. He knelt in front of you holding your hands, "Uh-." He sighed, "Sean, he's dead. The Gray's killed him." You felt anxiety flush over your body, you and Sean had become close over the time you had been with the gang. He was especially helpful during John's injury, staying by your side and helping you care for John when he could. John understood this, which is why he decided telling you in private was best. 

You felt tears run down your cheeks as you stared at John, "I-I'm sorry." He stuttered wiping your tears with his thumb. He pulled you down to kneel with him, holding you against him he apologized over and over. "I know you cared for him, he cared for you." You cried for a while longer before calming yourself. You breathed a shuddering breath sitting back on the bed, "I've got to go tell Dutch, you okay?" You nodded silently still reeling from the information.

You could clearly hear the conversation, "My God, he was so young." Dutch remarked. You could hear John sigh, "I know...he was an irritating little shit, but he helped y/n so much." You sat in the tent, you felt as though you were dreaming. Like this was all a nightmare and when you woke up Sean would be bugging John to go on a job. You walked out of the tent just in time to see Bill ride by, Sean's small body hung over the back of his horse. You felt a need to help bury him, you began following Bill as he rode up the bank of the lake. Stopping under a shaded tree, "Bill, can I-." You swallowed, "Can I help you bury him?" Bill looked at you with a sorrowful face. "Does Marston know you're up here?" You shook your head, "No, and I would prefer it to stay that way. Please." Bill nodded taking Sean down and laying him on the ground. 

Bill left for a shovel and materials for his gravestone, leaving you alone with Sean. The hole in his head was nauseating to look at, you took his arms folding his hands over each other. Bill came back shortly, handing you two pieces of wood and a chisel. "You can make his grave marker, it's probably not best for you to dig a hole in your...condition." He said awkwardly. You sat down carving, "Sean Macguire. RIP." You got to about the M in Macguire while Bill dug the hole, when John walked up. "What are you do-." He quickly quieted after seeing Sean's body, sitting down next to you watching you work. His company kept you from crying when Bill laid Sean to rest for a final time.