Chapter 6: Time flies

Two months into school, Violet had already wished it was summer vacation. Violet sits quietly under the tree during her Science class as her teacher, Mr. Jackson, asks them to find any type of rocks for experimenting back in their science lab. Violet had already found the rocks she wanted to check out, but her classmates are taking too long or just standing around, chatting.

She rests herself against the tree as she watches her classmates flirting with Mr. Jackson, since he is still a bachelor and good looking. However, that thought somehow makes her feel weird. He’s like, 27 and the girls are like, what? 14? 15? Violet lets out another sigh before hearing some laughter from behind the tree. She peeks over and sees Emily on the ground with the so-called-popular kids in her grade bullying her.

This has been going on since the first day of school. The guys then take Emily’s rocks and throw them into the pond before laughing and calling her names. Without thinking, Violet walks up to them, squeezing herself into the circle and helps Emily up to her feet. Emily looks at her surprised through her dirtied glasses. Violet looks over at the guys and turns around to face them.

“You guys, have nothing better to do, huh? Picking at girls like her just because she’s smart? So what? Are you so jealous because you’re stupid? If I see you bullying her again like that, I swear, I won’t go easy on you guys.” Violet blurts out those words without even knowing what she’s talking about. Her body just moves on her own. The guys look at each other before looking at Violet and push her back. Violet stumbles, but she manages to maintain her balance.

“You called us stupid? How dare you!” One of the guys raises his hand as he’s about to punch her before feeling a hand grabbing his arm. He turns around and sees Jared.

“Now, now. You were going to punch a girl? That’s not nice.” Jared pulls him off his feet and throws him against the ground.

“Go near to any of these girls again; ask Timothy Jerkins what happened during fifth grade when he bullied Violet. I don’t want any of you guys to end up with a chipped tooth like he did.” With that, the guys would give Jared a glare before walking away. Jared sighs before turning to look at Violet and Emily.

“You guys all right?”

“Yeah, thanks a lot, Jared.” Violet replies before looking at Emily. Emily nods before looking at him.

“Thank you so much. You both helped me out a lot.” Emily then smiles gently before walking towards the pond to find her rocks. Violet looks over at Jared.

“Don’t you have class?”

“No, I have Study Time.” He grins before patting her head. “It was brave of you to stand up for that girl, but next time, you have to be careful, all right?”

Violet’s face flushes a tint of pink before she nods.

“Don’t worry, I’m a tough girl anyways!” Jared smiles at her before leaving back to the classroom he was working in. Violet looks over at Emily and smiles as she walks over to help her find the rocks. Emily looks at her with surprise.

“You.. You don’t have to help me, Violet. I… I can find it by myself.”

“Ah, nah. It’s okay. I don’t mind anyways.” Violet smiles at her as she continues to look for the rocks. There weren’t any rocks in the pond, just mostly algae and some water plant. Emily’s stays silent before she continues her search for the rocks in the pond. Violet glances over at Emily.

“Hey, you know. I noticed that you’ve been alone all this time. I thought that you weren’t friendly or anything. When I first heard you talk there, I realized that you’re a pretty nice person.” Emily looks up at Violet with her cheeks in pinkish colour before going back to look for the stones.

“I..I’m just shy and I don’t really talk to anyone. People mostly think I’m that because I don’t talk to people.” She explains as she finds one of her rocks and smiles satisfyingly. Violet also retrieves a rock and hands it over to Emily with a smile.

“I see. Well, Emily, you just got yourself a new friend.” Violet gives her a cheeky smile, making Emily surprised but happy at the same time. For the first time ever, Violet sees her smile and that’s when she notices, how beautiful Emily was.

The bell rings right at that moment, showing that class is over and its lunch time. Their class mates are heading back towards the lab to retrieve their bags. Violet looks at Emily and smiles as they both walk together towards the lab.

Violet reaches to the locker as Emily goes to hers. Violet places her bag into her locker and takes out her lunch. As she closes the door, Vlad was leaning against the locker next to her, making Violet jumps as she sees him. She laughs before punching his shoulder.

“Vlad! You startled me, man!”

Vlad chuckles slightly before patting her head.

“Sorry about that, Vi.” Emily walks up behind Violet and looks at her. She looks up at Vlad before blushing and nods. Vlad nods back before looking at Violet.

“She’s joining us on our table!” Violet grins before holding Emily’s hand and drags Vlad along as well. When they arrive at the cafeteria, they go straight ahead to the table they usually sit. Jared and Lily were already there. As they approach to the table, Violet can see Jared laughing along with Lily as they continue to talk. They seem like they’re so close already. Violet feels a sudden sting in her chest before shaking it off.

“Yo, Jared! Hey, Lily.” Violet says as she sits next to Lily. Lily smiles at Violet as she moves aside to give space for her.

“Hey, Vi! Whatya havin’ today? And…” Jared stops for a second before looking at Emily. He looks at Violet and she gives him a cheeky smile.

“From now on, Emily is joining us in our lunch table!” Jared raises an eyebrow before feeling someone squeeze next to him. It was Tyler. Ever since school started, Violet’s been adding people into their table. Tyler and Lily and now, Emily. Jared stays silent before smiling as Emily squeezes next to Violet.

“Well, welcome to the cool table!” Jared says to Emily as he gives a grin. Vlad sits next to Jared as he takes out his lunch and starts eating it. Violet chuckles quietly before noticing that there is a group of girls just staring at the table. She knows that they are jealous because they can’t join them. Violet then shrugs it off and starts eating their lunch.