Chapter 11: Confusion

Violet taps her pen against the table rapidly as she struggles to answer the last test question for her History class. Mr. Anderson is walking around to see how well the students are doing on his test. Violet lets out a sigh as she rests her head on the table. She then glances to the side to see Vlad writing on the paper.

She rereads the question again before biting down her lower lip to think back what the answer to it. Then just like an electric shock, the answer pops into her mind and she immediately writes it. She smiles satisfyingly as she finally finishes the whole paper. She looks back at her answers to make sure she had done no mistakes on it, apart from the questions she was unable to answer.

She puts her pen away before pushing the paper to the side face down and rests her head on the table. Just as soon as she did, Vlad did the same before looking at her. They can’t speak during the test so he just stays quiet. She looks over at him, making her heart beat fast before looking away trying not to think about that crush she had on him. Well, still have.

The bell rings, showing that class has ended. Mr. Anderson picks up the papers from their tables and then let them leave. Violet takes her bag and is about to leave class when Vlad grabs her shoulder. She turns around and looks at him.

“Hey, I need to talk to you.” He says to her quietly. Violet nods and walks out of class. She waits for Vlad before he gently holds her arm and walks over towards the lockers. “Hey about yesterday…”

“Violet! There you are. I need to talk to you quickly.” Tyler says as he comes out of his French class. Tyler nods over to Vlad before looking at Violet. She blinks once before looking at both of them back and forth.

“Uhhh…”

“It’s okay. I’ll tell you later.” Vlad says as he nods to Tyler and walks over towards his locker. Tyler looks at him before looking at her.

“Did I interrupt something?” He asks. Violet looks at him and shakes her head.

“No worries, what is it that you need to talk to me about?” Violet asks him. Tyler looks around before signaling her to come with him. He walks over towards the end of the hallway and outside into the courtyard. She tilts her head to the side before looking at Tyler. Tyler seems nervous for some reason. Violet then realizes something.

‘Is this a confession??’ She thought to herself before looking at him. He turns around and his face is slightly red. Violet blushes slightly as she continues to look at him.

“V..Violet I..” He starts. Violet stands there as she waits for him. She can hear his heartbeat as he walks close to her. She blinks slightly as she continues to look at him. He opens his mouth and just as he is about to speak, he grabs her shoulders.

“I need your help… BIG!!” he says to her in a desperate tone. Violet’s expression goes blank as she hears those 5 words. So, it wasn’t a confession, it was just a request. Violet chuckles before laughing out. Tyler looks at her surprised and wonders if he said something funny.

“Don’t make me scared like that just now, man! I thought you were gonna confess or something.” She laughs before looking at him and pats his hand, telling him to let her shoulders go. “So, what do you need help with? I have never seen you like this before.” She smiles at him. Tyler rubs the back of his head as he places his left hand on his waist.

“Well, you know. I told you that I do like someone. And well, it’s Emily.” He says. Violet’s eyes widen before she grins.

“Aha~ And you need help with?” She folds her arms and shifts her weight onto her left leg. Tyler looks around as he tries to find the right words.

“I need you to help me out with asking her out.” He says nervously as rub his sweating forehead. He really is very nervous just talking about her. Violet smiles and pats his back gently as she walks towards the entrance into the hallway. Tyler blinks and follows behind her after getting his books back.

“Just walk up to her and ask her to prom. How’s that?” She smiles as she looks over at him. Tyler looks at her and sighs.

“Yeah, I can do that. But what do I say?” He asks again as they continue to walk. She smiles and shrugs.

“Be yourself. Do what you normally do. Now, pretend I’m Emily.” When she said that, she looks around to see if anyone’s around. She doesn’t want people to misunderstand or anything. Tyler looks around as well before biting his lower lip and looks at her.

“I can’t do this. I don’t know what to say. What if I mess up?” He says to her. He’s panicking. Violet looks at him before slapping both of his cheeks gently and playfully.

“Never seen you like this, Tyler. Like I said, imagine I’m Emily.” She says as she holds her book against her chest. She’s then looks at the clock and realizes that it’s lunch time already. Tyler sighs and takes a deep breath before looking Violet straight in her eyes.

“Emily, will you go to prom with me? If you want too that is. It’s okay if you don’t want. I hope we still can be friends however. I mean no awkwardness between us okay? Imagine that I never asked you about this. We can still hang out even if you say no.” Violet opens her mouth at what Tyler had said before laughing hard. Tyler looks at her confused again.

“Is this how you are when you’re nervous like heck?? It’s so funny!” She laughs again, making Tyler embarrassed before looking away. Violet controls herself before taking a deep breath and smiles. “The first eight words are good. Scratch out the rest.” Tyler looks at her and sighs as he nods.

“I’ll… try.” He says before rubbing his head again. Violet smiles and nods.

“Let’s go to the cafeteria. I’m sure everyone’s waiting. And maybe, you could ask her afterwards.” Violet says as she winks and starts to walk as Tyler follows behind her.

“Vlad’s going to prom with you right?” Tyler asks her as they approach their locker. Violet smiles and nods, before staring at her locker but later unlocks it.

“As friends though.” She adds to her nod. Tyler looks at her with a questioning look.

“But I thought—“

“Violet, hey! Haven’t gone to the cafeteria yet? Come on! Vlad, Lily and Emily must be waiting for us!” Jared says as he walks out from the high school office. Violet looks at him and chuckles. She looks over and Tyler and nods as he also starts to follow them both.