Chapter 12: Together

“You’re not gonna guess what happened!” Emily says happily as she places her books onto the library table. Violet and Lily looks up at her before looking at each other.

“What happened?” Lily asks as she puts her pen down and looks at her friend.

“Tyler just asked me to the prom! First guy ever, can you believe it!!” Emily’s eyes shine as she says them and she sits on the chair as if she’s in love. Violet chuckles before looking at her.

“Was he all nervous?” She asks her as she puts her pen down as well.

“Congratulations, Emi!” Lily says happily as she claps her hands quietly.

“Thanks Lily~ And yes! He was! It was so cute! He stumbled on his words and he was constantly looking around shyly. I never thought a good looking guy like him would ask a nerdy girl like me to prom!” Emily laughs before smiling happily.

“Oh man, I still need a prom dress. I thought no one is gonna ask me out so I didn’t buy one.” Emily adds as she bites her lower lip. Violet and Lily looks at each other before looking at her.

“Let’s go today! We’ll look around first and if there’s any to your liking, you can ask your mother the next day to buy it for you!” Lily says as she holds Emily’s hands. Emily looks at them both before smiling.

“Yeah, that’s a great idea! We’ll go after school.” Violet nods to Lily’s idea and looks at Emily to wait for her response. Emily smiles happily and nods as she also agrees with the idea.

Later that day, just as the last block of the day just finished, Violet is walking down the hallway when she hears voices from inside a class room. Violet stops and takes a peek and notices that it was Vlad, and a girl standing close to the door. Violet didn’t recognize the girl but she just turns around to go to the other way when something Vlad said catches her attention.

“No, Anna, we can’t be together anymore.”

Violet stops cold as she hears those words and decides to stay and listen more.

“But, Vlad, we can continue on. Why stop now? Look how far we’ve come.” The girl says in a sobbing voice. Violet could hear the rustling of clothes as if someone is hugging.

“I know, but you know, us being together behind everyone’s back is driving me crazy. I can’t continue on without people knowing about us.” Vlad adds to it.

“Then let the whole world know that I belong to you, Vlad. That I love you and that we’re meant for each other.” She says again in a teary voice. Vlad stays quiet before he speaks up. “Then we both can just move on despite what people say to us. I’m not going to let you leave me, Vlad. I love you too much.”

“Anna… I love you more than I have ever loved anyone, but what if we will be rejected by the society themselves? We don’t make a good pair in people’s eyes.” Vlad says to her in a stressed voice.

“At least we have each other…” The girl says gently to him. There is a couple of seconds silence before Vlad speaks out.

“I guess it’s better to tell them than losing you, Anna.”

Without any more waiting, Violet quickly runs away with tears streaming down from her face. She places her hand against her mouth as she runs into the nearest bathroom and hides in one of the stalls. She sits on the toilet as she continues to cry. She places her hands on her face.

‘He has a girlfriend all along; just never telling any of us.’ She thought to herself quietly as she continues to cry in the bathroom stall.

After a few minutes, Violet finally calms down but she stays quiet inside the stall. She looks at her phone to see what time it is and realizes it’s already 20 minutes after school had ended. She remembers that Lily and Emily are going out to mall with her right now so she washes her face quickly and runs towards the bathroom.

The hallway is pretty empty as she takes out her bag. Just as she closes her locker, Vlad is standing next to her. She jumps and takes a deep breath before looking away.

“Gee, you scared me there.” She says in her normal voice so she doesn’t show any sign of sadness in her tone.

“Yeah, like always. Let’s go back home.” He says to her as he watches her putting her bag on.

“Oh, I can’t. I have to go to the mall with Emily and Lily. Bye, Vlad.” She walks towards the entrance but Vlad grabs her shoulder and turns her around.

“What’s the matter? You’re acting weird.” He says in his concerned voice. He then notices her eye seems wet. She shakes his hand off.

“I’m fine. I’m rushing right now. Bye!” With that, she runs off, leaving Vlad confused.

At the mall, Violet sits quietly at the chair as she waits for Emily to try on the dresses in the fitting room. Lily comes with a couple of dresses and hands them to Emily in the fitting room.

“Here, try this! These looks pretty!” Lily says in a happy tone. Emily takes it and closes the curtains back as she tries on the dresses. Lily smiles before looking over at Violet and notices that she looks pale.

“Violet, what’s the matter? You seem sad.” Violet snaps out of her mind before looking at Lily and gives herself the best smile she could do at the moment.

“What? No, of course nothing is wrong. I’m just tired.” She says as she stretches herself and lets out a yawn. Lily raises one of her eyebrows and sits next to her.

“I’m not that smart, but I can tell when someone is sad. So now, tell me.” Lily says as she gently places her hand on Violet’s. Violet could only smile before patting Lily’s hand with her other hand.

“Nothing I can’t handle.”

Emily opens the curtain and that time and reveals them the pink dress with flowers on the side of her waist.

“How do I look?” Emily grins as she shows them the dress. Lily puts her hands together and smiles happily.

“You look absolutely gorgeous! This is perfect on you!” Lily adds as she watches the dress from top to bottom. Violet smiles and stands up as she walks around Emily as if she’s inspecting her before giving a grin.

“You look amazing!” Emily blushes slightly before chuckling and nods.

“I’ll ask at the cashier if they can keep this for me so I can come back tomorrow to pay it with my mother.” She says happily as she closes the curtain again and changes back into her clothes.

“Hey, I’ll go and wait outside.” With that Violet gets up as she puts her bag on before heading towards the exit. Lily stops her just before she walks out.

“Hey, wait, do you have a prom dress though?” Lily asks her. Violet looks at her and smiles slightly.

“I might not be able to go to prom because of something. But it’s okay.” She smiles before she continues to walk towards the exit.