Chapter 16: The truth

Violet sighs quietly while she sits outside on her porch as she watches the snow continues to fall from the sky since afternoon that day. She pulls her jacket closer to her body to warm herself up.

She wraps her arms around her shins before placing her head on her knees and closes her eyes. Taking a deep breath, Violet would enjoy the peacefulness of that wintry night. The streetlight flickers slightly on the empty snow-covered road. She looks up at the sky; there is a full moon behind the clouds of the falling snows. She remembers back into that party night when Vlad was leaning in close to her face.

She hears footsteps in the snow and a figure walking on the sidewalk before taking a turn towards her house. Violet immediately gets up as she was unable to identify who it was since there were only a few streetlights that are on that time. Just as she’s about to run into her house, the person says something.

“Relax, Vi. It’s me.” Violet stops and looks at him and notices it was just Vlad. Violet looks at him silently before sighing.

“What do you want, Vlad? Prom is happening right now, you should leave for school now.” She says as she at him. She notices that he’s wearing his winter jacket and with his jeans on. He wasn’t dressed for prom at all. Vlad didn’t say anything but only sit on the place where she sat. Violet looks at him confused. “Well?”

“Can you just shut up? Come and sit here.” He says to her in a weird tone. Violet raises one of her eyebrows before looking at him. She sighs and walks over to sit next to him, but not too close to him. There is a long silence between them as the silence of the night is just adding more into their quietness. A car passes by on the snowy road, emitting light on them for a split second before driving away.

“I’m sorry…” He finally says after what seem like an hour of silent. Violet looks at him before looking away again. Vlad glances over at her before moving close to her. Violet looks at him again as he moves closer to her, but Violet didn’t move. She just watches him.

“I’m sorry for treating you bad when you’re hurting from whatever your reason is. I just wanted to know what’s bothering you so much to make yourself space out from us… from me.” He looks at her with his light blue eyes. Violet blushes slightly before turning away and looks at the ground. Vlad lets out a sigh. “Violet, whatever I did, I’m sorry, okay?”

“It’s fine, Vlad. But don’t you have your real date waiting for you at prom?” She says to him as she continues to look at the snow. Vlad blinks as he continues to look at her.

“What are you talking about?” He asks her with his questioning look. Violet looks at him as her eyes gets teary all over again.

“I’m talking about that Anna girl, Vlad! The relationship you kept a secret with her behind our backs!” She says to him, almost yelling at him.

“W…where did you hear that from?” Vlad asks her as he has his concerned look on. 

“I heard it! You both were talking to each other in the classroom. I heard it all, Vlad! Have you been playing around with me all this time?? Taking me out and giving me a teddy bear!” She raises her voice slightly, showing the clear sign of anger from her tone.

“It would’ve been nice if you had told me about the girl before you play nice and sweet, Vlad! Are you trying to make me fall for you when you’re already in love with someone else?? Huh??” She looks at him as her tears continue to fall and her voice slowly starts to crack. Vlad would look at her for 10 full second in silence before he starts to laugh. Violet looks at him surprised from the sudden act. His laughter starts to get a little louder and louder.