Chapter 13: Spacing out

Violet sits quietly on the benches at the field close to the middle school section of the school. She knows that no one would go there from high school during lunch. She’s been sitting here more often since she found out about Vlad’s secret relationship with a girl. She needed her own space. She sighs quietly again before taking a bite off her sandwich. Prom is next week, but Violet doesn’t want to go anymore. She can’t tell that to Vlad now, though, she’ll just wait until prom day and make an excuse for not going.

She watches the middle school kids playing football while finishing up her lunch. She knows that her friends notice she’s been spacing out lately, and she needed a reason. The cold winter breeze blows towards her, making her sneeze. She zips up her jacket before rubbing her hands together. She forgot to bring her gloves. As she continues to think of a reason, the ball rolls over to her. She put her lunch down and takes the ball before kicking it towards the kids.

“That was a pretty nice kick.”

Violet gasps before turning around to see Jared.

“Jared, what are you doing here?” Violet looks at him. Jared looks at her before sliding his hands into his pocket.

“You were constantly missing during lunch, nowhere to be found, and always quiet. You rejected our invites to go parties or just going out. You’ve been spacing out, Vi. What’s gotten into you?” Jared explains as he walks down the snowy stairs towards her. Violet could only look at him before turning around and packing her lunch.

“Just been thinking about stuffs. You know me, I get emotional during around this month.” She explains as she packs up her lunch. Jared looks at her before zipping up his jacket as well and puts his hood on. It is so cold out.

“You can’t fool me, Vi. The last time I saw you like this, was three years ago. You get emotional around February because of your parents’ accident but like I said, that was three years ago. Then you were fine… until now.” He says to her, seeing through her lie. Violet didn’t say anything but instead goes up the stairs. Jared grabs her hand, making her turn to look at him. “Don’t run away from me again, Vi. Can you please tell me what’s bothering you?” The look on his face is now serious. Violet pulls her arm away gently before smiling at him.

“I’m fine. I’m just over-thinking again.” With that, Violet walks up stairs and back towards the high school section of the school. Jared stands there silently before following behind her. He isn’t going to let this go just yet.

Violet sits inside the gym as she watches her team against the other team playing volleyball. Her team isn’t that good. Vlad is on the other team and he’s really good. Violet hasn’t talked to Vlad for days now. She continues to watch her teammates struggle as they hit the ball back and forth. Her team then scores a point, which means it’s her turn to get in to substitute a player from her team.

After P.E. was over, Violet comes out of the changing room after getting changed and notices Vlad waiting by the door of the boy’s changing room. He looks at Violet as she passes by. He grabs her arm gently and looks at her.

“Violet, what’s the matter? Since these past few days, you’ve been acting weird around us. Violet pulls her arm off gently from him and sighs.

“It’s nothing, okay? Please I’m fine. I’m just emotional during this time of the year.” She explains to him. Vlad knows she’s telling a lie as well would stop her by standing in front of her, blocking the way.

“I’m not stupid, Violet. I’ve known you for 10 years and you can’t fool me.” He says to her. Violet looks at him before looking away as she starts to remember what happened that day when she discovered Vlad’s secret relationship. She could feel tears coming into her eyes and Vlad notices that.

“S..Sorry, I have to go.” With that Violet runs pass him and straight towards the lockers. Vlad turns to look at her as she runs before looking down on the floor.

“What is wrong with her…?”

After school finished, Violet walks straight home and just stayed in her room afterwards. She lies on her bed as she does her homework while her two cats are sleeping by her side. Heather walks into her room before slowly closing the door. She has whole week off this week. She takes Violet’s chair and sits on it as she looks at her. Violet turns to look at her aunt as she is puzzled why she’s there.

“Violet, do you always come home like this?” Violet looks at Heather before nodding.

“Yeah, why?” Heather sighs quietly before shaking her head.

“No, it’s just that, when you come home, you always look pale and that you would always stay in your room afterwards. Not getting food, not doing anything. I haven’t seen you do this in a long while you know?” Heather says gently to her niece as she lean in to touch her hand gently.

“Can you please tell me what’s bothering you?” Violet looks at her guardian before shaking her head and looks over at her two cats. Heather gives out a gentle sigh before squeezing her hand.

“I won’t force you, dear. When you’re ready to tell me, I’ll be here okay?” Her guardian gives her a gentle hug which Violet returns back the hug before smiling gently and nods.

“I know, Aunt Heath. You’ve always been there for me.” She smiles before nodding and going back to doing her homework.