Chapter 9: New crush

Chapter 9: New Crush

A month passed since Violet’s heartbreak. At half past 10 in the morning on Saturday, Violet is just eating her breakfast when the doorbell rang. She walks over with some toast in hand to open the door. Vlad is standing on the porch with his hand tucked in his pockets. Violet looks at him confused why he is there.

“Get dressed; we’re going to the mall today.” He says to her as if he’s ordering her. She blinks before looking at the clock and nods before walking upstairs to change into her shirt and jeans. She comes downstairs 20 minutes later after checking if she has enough money and then start to walk towards the mall together.

“So, why are we going to the mall?” Vlad turns around to look at her and without a warning; he shoves a ticket to her cheeks. Violet rubs her hurting cheek before looking at the ticket. It is a ticket for the new movie in town; Animal Family Disaster 2. It’s a cartoon-like movie about a family of different types of animals that always messes up. It’s a funny movie.

“What is this?” She asks him. Vlad looks at her as if the ticket isn’t obvious enough.

“It’s a movie ticket, dummy. I’m taking you to watch it. It’s new and I heard it’s great.” He says as they arrive at the mall. Violet blushes slightly at how caring Vlad is towards her at the moment. But that’s not it either, he’s taking her to the movies; just both of them. Her heart beats fast as she feels the fluttering butterflies in her stomach, making her smile gently as she watches him just continuing to walk in front of her.

‘Does this mean something?’ she thought to herself before shaking her head. She then continues to walk towards him as he starts to walk as well. ‘What am I thinking? Of course this doesn’t mean anything. Just simply Vlad being a good friend.’

They walk into the cinema and show them their tickets before walking inside to buy some popcorns and sodas. They find their seats and sit down inside as the movie is about the start.

After the movie finishes, Violet walks out laughing like crazy, attracting attention of some people. Vlad walks out smiling at her.

“That was the funniest movie I’ve ever seen in my life! Did you see how dramatically the cat fell into the water?? That was the funniest part!” Violet continues to laugh before wiping the tears away from her eyes and takes a deep breath before looking at Vlad.

“Well, let’s go and look at the shops around here.” He says after she calms down. Violet smiles before nodding. She feels much better after having a good laugh in the cinema. As they walk around the mall, they notice the new Halloween shop and walks inside it.

“Hey, hey! Halloween’s coming up! We should find some clothes to wear to scare off people!” Violet says as she looks around the store that’s decorated with spider webs and spiders. Vlad chuckles before looking around as well.

“Halloween isn’t until next month. We still have time.” He says as he takes a long white wig and looks at it. Violet then pops out from the side with a bloodied zombie mask on, startling Vlad before they start to laugh. “You got me.” He says before watching Violet putting the mask away. He then follows behind her as she walks towards the book section of the store. Vlad then notices a fake spider and gently puts it on her shoulder as she looks at the books. He then steps back a little before yelling out.

“Violet!! A spider!! A spider on your shoulder!!” With that, Violet turns around and screams before hitting the spider away and moves back.

“W..What the!! Vlad! That wasn’t funny!!” Violet says after realizing that it was a fake spider. Vlad is laughing hard before taking a deep breath and looks at her.

“Sorry, I had to do it.” He grins as he watches Violet pouts. “Let’s go somewhere else.” He adds later on. Violet looks at him as he walks before smiling and follows behind him.

They continue to go in from store to store just to look at things and mess around with them. They later on settle down at a fast food restaurant to have their lunch. Violet seems to have forgotten about the heartbreak she had just a month ago as she spends time with Vlad.

“That was funny when you pretended to be a mannequin in the clothes shop and scared the hell out of a kid.” Vlad says as he eats the fries they bought. Violet chuckles as she takes a bite from her burger before looking outside at the store across from them. It was a toy store.

“Hey, let’s go in there after we’re done?” Violet says as she looks at Vlad. Vlad looks at the store before looking at her.

“What are you, 5 year-old? You’re 15 years-old, Violet. Not a kid.” Vlad says teasingly. Violet pokes his nose with her unopened straw before taking the cover off and put it inside her drink.

“I just wanna see the stuffs there. See if anything can be my cat’s play things.” She says ignoring the teasing and drinks her soda. Vlad smiles at her before drinking his drink as well. After they finish up, they go ahead into the store. Violet looks around at the toys there and sees some small mouse toy and decides to buy that.

When she goes to the cashier, she notices that Vlad isn’t with her. After she pays for the toy, she goes around the store to look for him but couldn’t find him. She then decides to go to the door and wait for him there, but he was already waiting for her there.

“Vlad, I thought you went off without me or something! Geez.” She says before teasingly punching his shoulder. Then she notices that he’s hiding something behind him. “What are you hiding there?” She asks him as she tries to take a peek. He moves around and smiles. He takes the toy mouse from her hand gently and looks at her.

“Close your eyes and put your hands out.” He says to her gently. Violet looks at him before eyeing him. “Come on, you can trust me.” He grins. Violet sighs quietly before closing her eyes and puts her hand out. She suddenly feels a soft and fluffy thing in her hand. She opens her eyes and looks at the cute pink fluffy teddy bear with a blue ribbon on its head. Her face flushes with pink as she looks at the cuteness of the teddy bear before looking at Vlad. Her heart beats fast as she notices Vlad’s gentle expression and smile.

“Just a little gift from me.” He smiles gently at her. Violet smiles happily before gently hugging him and squeezes him gently.

“It’s so adorable. Thank you.” She says as she looks up at him. Vlad smiles before looking at his watch.

“Let’s head home. Its half past 4 already. He walks at the same time as her. Violet looks at the teddy bear before hugging it to her chest gently and smiles happily. They walk home silently together with Violet still holding the teddy bear against her chest tightly. When they arrive at Violet’s house, Vlad walks her towards the front porch.

“Thanks for today, Vlad. I had a great time.” She smiles gently at him. He smiles back at her before handing out the toy mouse to her.

“I had fun as well, Vi. Just remember to always smile, all right?” He says to her. Violet nods before unlocking the door. As she is about to enter the house, she turns around and gives Vlad a soft kiss on the cheek. Vlad’s cheeks flush a tint of red slightly before smiling at her. As Vlad starts to walk down the driveway, Violet watches him from her front door until he is out of her sight. She shuts the door gently and smiles happily before looking at the teddy. Almost the same kind of feeling she had for Jared before now starts to grow for Vlad instead.

“For you, I will always smile, Vlad....”